Tiger 1 DMD - No Turret rotation

Tamiya electronics, simple and reliable, yet expensive, talk about them here!
h5djr
Recruit

Tiger 1 DMD - No Turret rotation

Post by h5djr »

Hi

I have a Tamiya Tiger 1 with a MF-01 and DMD-03 control units. I am using a Futaba Skysport 4-channel radio with added button for main and machine gun firing. I have had this since I built in in 2001 and up to now everything has worked as expected. Yesterday evening I got the tank out, charged the batteries and the transmitter and every works except that the turret will no longer rotate. If a swap the wires for the gun elevation and the turret rotation over the turret rotation works and the gun elevation does not. I have checked all the wiring and Reinitialisation of the DMD and still it does not work. Does anyone have any ideas. How easy it it to open the DMD and see if anything is obviously adrift inside. Thanks
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Tiger 1 DMD - No Turret rotation

Post by 971wright »

Hi Its not possible to open a DMD unit, more bad news sounds like the traverse has gone. One way of getting round it is to fit a small ESC with a splitter wire ,then wire the traverse direct, connect the other end of splitter to DMD as normal so you get the sound. It will only cost a few pounds to do this and save you having too buy a new DMD which can be over £100.

regards pete
h5djr
Recruit

Post by h5djr »

I thought that may be the case. I think for the moment I will just have the turret rotation and live without the gun elevations.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Just set it in the middle and battle on ,unless you are fighting on a slope elevation isn't really needed.

regards pete
Muscleflex
Lance Corporal

Post by Muscleflex »

971wright wrote:Hi Its not possible to open a DMD unit, more bad news sounds like the traverse has gone. One way of getting round it is to fit a small ESC with a splitter wire ,then wire the traverse direct, connect the other end of splitter to DMD as normal so you get the sound. It will only cost a few pounds to do this and save you having too buy a new DMD which can be over £100.

regards pete
Hi - what do you mean by this?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

The rotation on a Tamiya DMD is just a low power esc. So use any splitter to connect the DMD and the ESC to the same channel and ou have movement back. I would recomend doing this with the turret rotation as you don't have to worry shooting the main gun setting off the elevation esc.
Muscleflex
Lance Corporal

Post by Muscleflex »

Would this be the same if I decide to use a servo for the turret rotation?
I'm not too happy with the rotation on my Tiger 1... It keeps getting stuck from a simple thing like wire not loose enough to allow it to rotate or something..
And there's too much play in the rotation ring. It feels like the ring is too small and has too much space between that and the outer ring that the turret sits on.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Muscleflex wrote:Would this be the same if I decide to use a servo for the turret rotation?
I'm not too happy with the rotation on my Tiger 1... It keeps getting stuck from a simple thing like wire not loose enough to allow it to rotate or something..
And there's too much play in the rotation ring. It feels like the ring is too small and has too much space between that and the outer ring that the turret sits on.
You would need a 360 servo which didn't centre. There are several ways of improving the Tamiya rotation, you can glue up the slipper clutch or swap the gears round so the clutch gives great resistance before slipping.
Muscleflex
Lance Corporal

Post by Muscleflex »

Thanks - I don't know which is the gear that needs gluing. i'll have to get a photo and post it and you guys can show me.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

There's only two and it's the one with the slipper clutch.

Return to “Tamiya”