Being Selfishy

If you think that we are missing an important board or category, post here and we will see what we can do!

sub-divide the h/long builds section

Poll runs till Mon Jun 21, 2049 6:59 pm

yes
33%
no
67%

Total votes: 6

xrad
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Being Selfishy

Post by xrad »

Since Heng Long and Tamiya only make a few tanks, I was wondering if you could subdivide the Heng Long and Tamiya sections by tank.

For example: You click Heng Long and up comes a subforum of all HL tanks by name.  If you build a modified Stug, that would still fall under Stug. But if you built a completely different tank with PIII lower hull, It might get a new catagory or fall under the original hull description. Since there are a finite number of tanks that are modeled in 1/16, the model list by each company should not get too long. It would be easier to just search you model or hull type than look through three or more pages of unnecessary info...

Plus, it would make me happy (the selfish part)

This way it would be easier to find topics and builds regarding your specific model......
tribalmasters
Private

Re: Being Selfishy

Post by tribalmasters »

Why not use the search feature?  Too much mouse clicking will be happening that way :(
"She is also embarking on being a female vocalist so ill try and bring her along to a few meets where she can blast out a few sons" - Militarymight
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

I counted 18 different sections just to cover all of my collection - something about not seeing the wood for the tree's springs to mind... ::)
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

personally i think they are fine as they are
xrad

Post by xrad »

as for trees and woods, right now there are over 100 different topics under Heng Long, many more than 18.  'Search' is nice, but you have to know exactly what you are looking for.

If you are working on a Sherman, then you could go right to that section and see what everyone else has done rather than reading through other info and wasting time.

Divide and conquer.  You could always try it and if it does not work, then forget it... i would be happy to provide a list of models...

Stagnation is the downfall of mankind...
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

i think we'll leave it be to be jonest, because, dividing is a downfall of man :D

Mart said 18 because he has 18 different models of tank, not 18 tanks ;D he has about 24 tanks right mart ?

cant try and then go back, its alot of work for me, and would mean moving posts and stuff.. too much effort, and it would be wasted because dividing this much would pritty much kill that part of the forum :(

thanks for the idea though.

Matt
Ex_Pat_Tanker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ex_Pat_Tanker »

Correct Matt:

If I understand the OP correctly then in order to properly catalogue all of my builds we would need the following new boards for JUST my work:

Panzer III
Su76i
Panzer IV
JagdPanzer IV
SturmPanzer IV
Tiger I Early
Tiger I Late
SturmTiger
KingTiger (Henschal)
KingTiger (Porsche)
T34/76
T34/85
Su85
Su122
M26
M41
Su152
Pantiger  ;)
(I'd crossed the Ostwind off the list when I traded for the Porsche turret ;D )

Now throw in all of the kits, upgrades and rtr tanks I don't have yet:
Stug III
KV-1
Kugelblitz
JagdPanther
Panther
Abrams
Leopard 2
Leopard 1
Gepard
Sherman

Plus the stuff thats coming soon:
KV2
StugIV
Elephant
T54

And then all of Iain's menagery, and Septons scratch builds, and...

And pretty soon you'll be lost...

Maybe we could go thru and add some kind of tags to the post headings to help the search function - That might be a more practical solution to the problem?
xrad

Post by xrad »

As I said above, make it easy and just base it on Heng long models. How many do they have , less than 30?

So , only one catagory for Tiger I, etc.  All variations of the basic Heng long model will fall under same catagory.

ex:
Heng long makes Panzer III.  They make it in two colors , BUT it's still just the HL PIII model. So all varieties and those that we convert on their basic PIII model go in same catagory.

BUT, Heng long makes a Stug III. So that is another Heng Long Catagory (which is why they are under Heng Long in the first place, Not under individual conversions or home made, or upgrade kits. And all the colors and basic variations of the HL Stug III go under same title 'STUG III')

Basically makes finding stuff easier because you just have to look for one Heng Long model type and all your conversions and others will be in same catagory.

Now, if you built every version of every year of the Tigers and they were based on HL kits, well, the rest of us could just look them up easily under 'Heng Long' subgroup 'Tiger'...

Another example: I am building an HL JP. There were three major variations of the JP. HL only models the most recent. I only want to see info on JP's and what others have done. So I just click the 'Heng long builds' and click the subgroup 'Jagdpanther' and everyone who posts stuff about HL JPs mods will be in there.

Remember, we are just making subgroups in HL builds of ONLY the basic Heng Long model types.

seems easy enough...

But, I can see your that your concern may be that your models will get lost in a subcatagory. For those who read this website, they will see that your models are based on changes to a basic Heng Long kit and they will know to look for that specific Heng Long model and be rewarded with all the possibilities and options and kit conversion available.  Your models will be no more lost in  a specialty HL model subgroup than they are buried three pages deep under an obscure post.
xrad

Post by xrad »

I will understand the silence as consideration....
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Matdragon »

I think it will still sub-dived to much, and put people off posting threds for small things, because they don't know where to put it. eventually, you will still have to trawle through the various threads to find what you need.

plus its still alot of work, and all the threads would need moving, and a new board would need making every time a tank was released.

cheers,

Matt

Return to “New Boards and Categories”