Adding recoil, smoke and flash to HL Sherman 7.0

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Nitewyn
Recruit

Adding recoil, smoke and flash to HL Sherman 7.0

Post by Nitewyn »

Hello all,

This is my first real post here after my introduction. I hope I'm doing this right. Admin, please move this if necessary.

I'm working on some upgrades for my little HL Sherman. I'd like to add barrel smoke, flash and recoil to it, and I am not concerned about keeping the airsoft firing ability.
So far I've been doing a ton of searching, both here on the forums and on the internet in general to see if I can figure out how to achieve this, but I don't have the knowledge base yet to decipher what other people are doing.
A lot of posts or articles use generic terms, or acronyms that I don't know yet, such as "I used the upgraded recoil unit", "I installed one of John's boards to control it" or "Using the Id48.0 with the LK197 adapter".

I'd like to figure this out on my own, however I now have even more questions than I started with :eh:

Are there any drop-in solutions to add recoil, flash and smoke to the barrel of my Sherman with the stock 7.0 board? Hopefully with links for them.
Drop-in may be a bit of an over simplification. I am ok with modifying things to make it work.
If not I am open to upgrading things, however there are so many options out there my head is spinning a bit, and I'm finding that a lot of the offshore websites selling tank parts leave a bit to be desired in the way of product descriptions. :crazy:

So here I find myself, leaning on the expertise of those who have gone before me.

Cheers,
Nitewyn
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Adding recoil, smoke and flash to HL Sherman 7.0

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

You should find this helpful.

Fitting HL cannon smoker - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=30905
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

And some parts you may need.

Heng Long Metal Servo Recoil Unit for 1:16 Scale RC Tank
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... _Tank.html

Heng Long CNC Smoker for smoking barrel effect 1:16 RC Tank
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... _Tank.html
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The only drop in solution I can think of for fitting recoil and flash to the heng long V7 is possibly the Mako tk6.0 board you will have to email them to find out if it works on the V7 board
http://rctanksaustralia.com/store/index ... ucts_id=67

You tube installation
phpBB [video]
Nitewyn
Recruit

Post by Nitewyn »

Thank you!
I'll check those options out.
ankh
Recruit

Post by ankh »

I designed a simple Arduino based circuit that covers all your needs:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=33439

You will just need to slightly modify the barrel but as you're not interested in keeping BB system then it's rather easy to do. PM me if you want to give it a go and have any questions.

Here is the diagram:
Attachments
Circuit diagram
Circuit diagram
whitecitadel
Private

Post by whitecitadel »

Nitewyn wrote:Hello all,

I'm working on some upgrades for my little HL Sherman. I'd like to add barrel smoke, flash and recoil to it, and I am not concerned about keeping the airsoft firing ability.
So far I've been doing a ton of searching, both here on the forums and on the internet in general to see if I can figure out how to achieve this, but I don't have the knowledge base yet to decipher what other people are doing.
A lot of posts or articles use generic terms, or acronyms that I don't know yet, such as "I used the upgraded recoil unit", "I installed one of John's boards to control it" or "Using the Id48.0 with the LK197 adapter".
Welcome, the problem is there is no simple solution! I started as new to tanks looking at this a few months ago.

The Heng Long has backwards recoil on the BB unit, the motor winds the spring pulling he barrel back and the spring releases to fire the BB, so it recoils slowly then returns fast on release. On a real gun of course, the shell firing causes very fast recoil and slow return to position.

The best way to replicate recoil is to use a servo, it can recoil fast and return slow like the real thing. Problem then is the 7.0 has no servo outputs - so you would need either a 6.1 or a 7.1, 7.1 is for sale from China now but I have not seen many people using them.

In terms of physical recoil mechanism, you can adapt the BB to attach a servo, but it’s a lot hacking about. In the other thread there is a HL unit at forgebear that could be used, but you still need a way to operate the servo. There are also various 3D printed options around for the recoil.

Muzzle flash can be added, but the wire and flash tube or SMD would stop the BB so you have to give that up.

The smoker is slightly different to the exhaust one, the standard exhaust has outputs all on top, and input from fan blower. The canon smokers are designed to be turret mounted under a hatch, so they have in and out either side, and only the filler on top. Forgebear and Aliexpress have these, and you can buy kits with a small PCB as well.

The PCB is designed to take the input from a micro switch on the BB, and fire the smoke when the cannon is at full recoil and the micro switch closes. This can be done with either the BB or the recoil unit as both have the switch, on the BB some instructions add another switch next to the existing one. The flash unit attaches to this small PCB as well to trigger it all together. It’s not well documented but you can see it in the instructions in the other thread.

The other way to trigger smoke on fire is to use the LED flash signal as a trigger, I believe all the electronics switch ground so it works like the micro switch. See videos in the linked thread.

So what’s the answer? Well you can add smoke, flash and recoil with the fire smoker from forgebear and the recoil unit, but you still have no way to operate the servo.

The only plug and play are the mako board or the ankh arduino one, the mako may be hard to get depending on where you live, and the ankh solution is neat but you need to have some basic knowledge to get it going.

This is why all the answers seem really complicated - there is no simple solution!

Most paths will lead you to needing a new TCB (Tank Control Board), that has servo outputs, but it’s either 7.1 which may work with your 7.0 transmitter not sure, 6.1 but then you need the new transmitter, or an aftermarket one then things are getting a lot more complicated and expensive!
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,
In the turret of a Sherman the place is limited, but there are some solutions, which you can inspire for a recoil by servo, attached some videos and links? if can help
http://rctanksaustralia.com/forum1/view ... ?f=30&t=14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10054&start=M
https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tan ... id=1&pid=3
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEYQ_jzDXk
there is also this module, which allows you to install a servo for the recoil
https://www.rctank.de/Taigen-platine-de ... l-Servo-BB
http://rctanksaustralia.com/forum1/view ... ?f=32&t=19
see also one of Herman's last posts, where he describes a very simple realization from a modified BB firing module
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

attached, post on Taigen recoil system, by servo, post some time ago!!!
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=32749
for better understanding ?
Nitewyn
Recruit

Post by Nitewyn »

That is some very good information, thank you.

I am not opposed to upgrading my tank control board, and I already have a transmitter running OpenTX that I think would do the trick nicely.
Digging around online I was really interested in the Open Panzer TCB project before I found out it wasn't really a thing anymore.
What are the current hot control boards that people like to run? I have been digging around on the forums and elsewhere to learn what I can about them, but my knowledge is far from complete.

Return to “Heng Long”