HL servo recoil, flash, barrel smoke home made unit

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
ankh
Recruit

HL servo recoil, flash, barrel smoke home made unit

Post by ankh »

Hi Guys,
I just want to share a little project I have just completed. It's really hard to get 6.1 nowadays for recoil, barrel smoke units are very expensive, this is cheap and easy alternative.
Basically it is a unit that gives you barrel recoil (servo), flash, and barrel smoke.
Perfect if you have 5.3, 6.0 or 7.0 board, probably will work with any similar boards.
This is Arduino based project.
All parameters fully adjustable, instructions inside the code, no modifications are needed to HL board.

Here is a video showing what it can do:
phpBB [video]

Here are all the files: https://github.com/ankhx/Heng-Long.git

You can use all or any of the functions (smoke, flash, recoil) - just don't wire what you don't need.
You will need to upload the code to Arduino - plenty of tutorials available online.

All components are easy to find e.g. Amazon. You need 1x Arduino Nano, 1x 5V relay, 1x L298N motor driver, 1x 9g SG90 or MG90 servo, 1x standard 3mm or 5mm LED (white, yellow/orange, or red), 1x 220 Ohm resistor, 1x 10k Ohm resistor, standard HL smoke unit or equivalent (must be with motor/pump and separate heating unit), cables and connectors. PLEASE REMOVE CAPACITOR from the motor if there is one.

Total cost probably around £15-£20. Sadly many things you will need to buy in bulk so great project if you have many tanks to upgrade.

This is not compatible with BB system as it uses its port. You could modify it to work but that's not something I'm interested in as I don't use BB at all.
All free to share and modify as you wish.
whitecitadel
Private

Re: HL servo recoil, flash, barrel smoke home made unit

Post by whitecitadel »

Nice project!

If your putting the smoke generator in the turret though, you may want one of the ones with the entry/exit on the sides rather than on the top like the exhaust ones, could be a difficult to fit where it can be refilled from the hatch?
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Looks great, A detailed wiring diagram would be good :thumbup: :wave:
ankh
Recruit

Post by ankh »

whitecitadel wrote:Nice project!

If your putting the smoke generator in the turret though, you may want one of the ones with the entry/exit on the sides rather than on the top like the exhaust ones, could be a difficult to fit where it can be refilled from the hatch?
Thanks!
It just shows how this works in principle, any standard type of smoker will work as long as you have one connection for a motor/pump and another one for smoking unit.
Ludwig von wigbeare wrote: Looks great, A detailed wiring diagram would be good :thumbup: :wave:
Thank Ludwig!
The code and wiring diagram can be downloaded from github, I included the link in my original post.

I hope this will be useful for others as it can really save a lot of money and hassle.

Return to “Heng Long”