Speaker issue Hen Long/Mato Tanks

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
SamuraiGreen02
Recruit

Speaker issue Hen Long/Mato Tanks

Post by SamuraiGreen02 »

The problems started when I threw a track and didn't know it was a reverse thread. While attempting to loosen the adjustment to slip the track back on, I stripped the screw and nut, so it sat in the corner of my room until I was able to finally get around to installing the replacement tension adjuster.

While driving it around to test the track, the speaker started getting crackly, and volume lowered to almost non existent. I opened the tank up, checked the wiring, unplugged, and re plugged the wires responsible for the speaker, and it still hasn't fixed the problem.

From what I could learn, its either from the plug being loose, or if it is not the wires, the speaker itself. I made sure to push it in as far as the plug could go, making sure it was secure, and no change.So I am asking for some help trying to trouble shoot this. I did order the same type of speaker, which will be arriving in the mail in the next couple of weeks, and contacted Maltomart as well for their feedback.

I am not familiar with stripping everything out to replace them. The speaker seemed easy as it only has one place to plug into and power? Also a M10 Tank Destroyer is kinda.. obscure/rare and the program was discontinued after WW2, so they aren't really mass produced en mass for the scale RC Tank Community, Unlike the Sherman, or the Tiger.

I spent like 900 dollars on the thing as it's also all metal, and was really proud of getting one, and I was suggested in the reddit rc tank community was to junk the thing, as the electronics for it were rubbish. So I rather not just simply junk the thing. That and a you-tube video showing how to strip a Mato tank down to fully adjust things or replace electronics is non existent.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from the replies.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Speaker issue Hen Long/Mato Tanks

Post by jarndice »

I would not give space to a Mato Tank in my workshop they are very shoddily built using very poor materials But the Speaker is a problem easily improved if you fit a Verison frs7/8 as long as the problem is not in your control board that should give you instant good sound and volume.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Hello!
If you get a good MATO metal tank, You're blessed and should thank the Gods of the Hobby. These tanks come with Clark boards and once they are programmed, they function very well. For questions on Clark, the Forums very own Maxmekker is a very helpful sort ( especially if you want to swap your speaker for a better one, always a good idea with MATO ) I rebuilt an all metal M36B from MATO and the worse thing I encountered on that Build was: A\ a lack of good detailing for an open turret Tank Killer and B\ the detail on that one were very crumbly as the metal mix was off. I recently got another all metal MATO , a Sherman for a dual Build I am working on. I must have performed the appropriate rituals as that Tank is working Aces and all the metal is solid. Research the speaker you want and consider a housing for it as well. Jarndice' advice on speaker type is solid or you can grab Max who has several housings and speaker sizes available.
regards and enjoy that expensive Big Boys Toy,
Painless
Attachments
Mato catches crap sometimes and rightfully so but this one works..jpg
Mato catches crap sometimes and rightfully so but this one works..jpg
...Here for the Dawn...
SamuraiGreen02
Recruit

Post by SamuraiGreen02 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Hello!
If you get a good MATO metal tank, You're blessed and should thank the Gods of the Hobby. These tanks come with Clark boards and once they are programmed, they function very well. For questions on Clark, the Forums very own Maxmekker is a very helpful sort ( especially if you want to swap your speaker for a better one, always a good idea with MATO ) I rebuilt an all metal M36B from MATO and the worse thing I encountered on that Build was: A\ a lack of good detailing for an open turret Tank Killer and B\ the detail on that one were very crumbly as the metal mix was off. I recently got another all metal MATO , a Sherman for a dual Build I am working on. I must have performed the appropriate rituals as that Tank is working Aces and all the metal is solid. Research the speaker you want and consider a housing for it as well. Jarndice' advice on speaker type is solid or you can grab Max who has several housings and speaker sizes available.
regards and enjoy that expensive Big Boys Toy,
Painless
Hi! So, other then the mishap of the nut/screw of the tension adjuster being stripped and needing for replacement for the mato tank,which where I picked up from a tension/adjuster for a 1/16 sherman, it hasn't really had any problems other then the newly developed speaker issue.

This is the exact type of speaker in my tank currently, and what I ordered to replace for a total of 40.00 usd with shipping. Now that I think about it after opening up the tank, there was no viewable way the speaker was being held in the tank. So I think it was just glued on? The lack of good detailing for an open turret tank killer I am working on, looking around for a 3D printed ready rack for the 1/16 ammo and shells that I got for it. The metal hasn't been 'crumbly' like, there's no tell of any flaws in the manufacturing process. But now I know I can get a better more reliable speaker? That will be my next thing to look up.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jesus christ, man, sorry to say, but that is a kind of speaker I'd never fit in a tank, is way too small, and way too expensive, that is a 3 eur speaker, seriously. Cancel the order if it is not too late.
Jarndice gave you a great tip in what to get, but if you cannot find it anywhere or shipping makes it unnafordable, just try to get the biggest speaker with the biggest resonance box that you can get. Resonance box is even more important than the speaker itself.

You can find those speakers already prepared in aliexpress or ebay, and if you get one without enclosure, some of the members of this forum will be able to make one for you. And all together will be probably way less than those 40 bucks!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hello SG02,

Just a quick question and suggestion, while experiencing the speaker crackle what sort of charge was the battery at? I've had a similar thing happen in the past with one of my boards where the speaker started to distort the sound and it become intermittent, I swapped the battery out for a fully charged one and that sorted the problem, perhaps something worth trying :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
SamuraiGreen02
Recruit

Post by SamuraiGreen02 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:Jesus christ, man, sorry to say, but that is a kind of speaker I'd never fit in a tank, is way too small, and way too expensive, that is a 3 eur speaker, seriously. Cancel the order if it is not too late.
Jarndice gave you a great tip in what to get, but if you cannot find it anywhere or shipping makes it unnafordable, just try to get the biggest speaker with the biggest resonance box that you can get. Resonance box is even more important than the speaker itself.

You can find those speakers already prepared in aliexpress or ebay, and if you get one without enclosure, some of the members of this forum will be able to make one for you. And all together will be probably way less than those 40 bucks!
I will see if I can! I bought the speaker before thinking about coming here to ask, so that is my bad. And also I intend to follow that advice anyway. I would rather not have to go through it again, but it is a learning experience and I am not going to shy away from it.
Model Builder 4 wrote:Hello SG02,

Just a quick question and suggestion, while experiencing the speaker crackle what sort of charge was the battery at? I've had a similar thing happen in the past with one of my boards where the speaker started to distort the sound and it become intermittent, I swapped the battery out for a fully charged one and that sorted the problem, perhaps something worth trying :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
That is what I was also thinking. I let it charge over night and still had the same issues. I'll have to try the new battery.
SamuraiGreen02
Recruit

Post by SamuraiGreen02 »

Wanted to post an update on this. So I got the speaker in the mail (Couldn't recall it in time) So when I plugged the new speaker in to test it out, it was still making the crackling sound like the first speaker. So now I am wondering if it ha to be an issue with the board itself. Everything else is working fine but the speaker. What would be the next step? I feel like by the time I get the issue sorted I'll have enough parts to make a brand new one.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Can't speaker crackle also be caused by the volume control ?
SamuraiGreen02
Recruit

Post by SamuraiGreen02 »

john1970 wrote:Can't speaker crackle also be caused by the volume control ?
I did not know if there was a volume control. The Mato instructions and the controller don't really label what or where volume control is. But that is a good idea to check out. Honestly, I wish I could pair it with a more simple controller. Too many joy stick movements to make sounds/turn the engine on or off, lights, MG and main gun.

Return to “Heng Long”