Heng Long IR battle system compatible with other brands?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
AceQuorthon
Recruit

Heng Long IR battle system compatible with other brands?

Post by AceQuorthon »

Sorry if this is a real noob question, but I couldn't find a solid answer on the web.
I got myself a Heng Long Tiger I - Torro Edition that comes with both a BB turret and a IR battle system installed, and I am currently looking into getting another tank so me and my sister can do some fighting together. However, I don't know if the Heng Long IR battle system works with other brands, because I am looking at real nice tanks manufactured by both Taigen and Torro that has IR battle systems but I don't wanna buy something that might not even work with my current one.

Here's the Heng Long tank I got from Torro: https://www.torro-shop.de/1/16-rc-tiger ... henglong_2

So is it safe for me to buy from other brands, or do I have to stick to Heng Long for the time being?
~Suffering from ADD and mild autism~
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Heng Long IR battle system compatible with other brands?

Post by jarndice »

The Heng Long I/R system is compatible with the Tamiya I/R system because the international rules governing i/r combat lays down the Tamiya system or a similar compatible system as the standard by which to fight.
For reasons known to Taigen their I/R system is NOT compatible with the Tamiya standard and it will NOT work with any non Taigen Tank including Heng Long.
The Heng Long i/r system if it is unmodified is not recommended as a worthwhile battler against a proper Tamiya i/r equipped Tank or a Tank fitted with a Tamiya i/r compatible approved aftermarket control board such as an IBU or an Elmod as it has many weaknesses but fighting a Heng Long Tank with another Heng Long Tank is fine just make sure that they both have a Version 6.0/6.01 or a version 7.0 control board.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
AceQuorthon
Recruit

Post by AceQuorthon »

Why is it not recommended against a Tamiya? And I'm guessing Torro isn't compatible with Heng Long as well?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Torro has their own IR protocol. The older Heng Longs used to have their own IR protocol also, but as of the TK6.0 and higher Heng Long has changed their protocol to the Tamiya version. So Torro doesn't work with any other tanks, but newer Heng Longs will work with Tamiya. Heng Long is not recommended to fight against a Tamiya as the Tamiya will be at a disadvantage. Tamiya has built in firing delays and the tanks take "battle damage" with each hit. Basically they slow down until they are killed. Heng Longs don't have those functions so they have the advantage in a fight against a Tamiya. The Heng Longs also don't accept IR hits from as well as Tamiya vehicles. The Tamiya "apple" is more sensitive than the Heng Long "mushroom". So the Heng Long tank will repeatedly hit the Tamiya, but the Tamiya will struggle to hit the HL because it's less sensitive especially in bright sunlight.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
AceQuorthon
Recruit

Post by AceQuorthon »

Gotcha!
Thanks for the great replies everyone!

Return to “Heng Long”