HL reciver upgrade

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Trueblue1415
Recruit

HL reciver upgrade

Post by Trueblue1415 »

My first question for all you veteran rc tankers is this.I have a H.L tiger 1 with what I think is a TK18,its got the HL dragon and multifunction unit printed on it.I would like to know if replacing it with a 6.0 unit would mean I could then upgrade things like recoil barrel,smoking barrel and all the other must have shiny bits you can buy,i understand it won't be just plug and play.Oh and do i need another remote controller or can I bind it to my existing one.That's all for now,the first of many.Be gentle with me,thanks in advance
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: HL reciver upgrade

Post by abramsky »

Hello
HL Electronics upgrade will not be plug and play. But if you can solder, you can make a new set of wires by yourself (cheaper and better option), or buy a ready-made set (it will be more expensive and some wires may be too short - for my requirements).
TK 6.0 (as opposed to 6.1) does not support / does not have recoil servo - so you get recoil only with a mechanism with an electric motor (usually type 130). As far as I remember, Taigen offers one, but it will require changing the connections - re-soldering the wires.
The remaining ones in this smoke barrel can be easily obtained on both.
The RX18 transmitter is not compatible with anything newer than the RX18. You need to buy the RX and TX 6.0 / 6.1 kit
Trueblue1415
Recruit

Post by Trueblue1415 »

Thanks for the info,I just needed a base line to start from.Everything else I can work out myself,thanks again
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Trueblue1415 wrote:My first question for all you veteran rc tankers is this.I have a H.L tiger 1 with what I think is a TK18,its got the HL dragon and multifunction unit printed on it.I would like to know if replacing it with a 6.0 unit would mean I could then upgrade things like recoil barrel,smoking barrel and all the other must have shiny bits you can buy,i understand it won't be just plug and play.Oh and do i need another remote controller or can I bind it to my existing one.That's all for now,the first of many.Be gentle with me,thanks in advance
Hey True. It sounds as though it is the 27MHz controller as you described.

All the connection to the older MFU use JST-XH connectors. So you will be needing to redo the motor connections if upgrading.
If you are wanting servo recoil, you will need to get a TK-6.1 at least (6.0 does not have servo recoil option).
Attachments
HL TK6.0 vs 6.1
HL TK6.0 vs 6.1
HL RX18 - 27MHz
HL RX18 - 27MHz
Barmonkey
Recruit

Post by Barmonkey »

I am not a veteran RC tanker and am still getting my feet wet. So take this lightly...

I recently purchased a Heng Long "static" Stug III without the controller. It has the MFU pictured above which is hooked in to a 27Mhz controller. I wanted to upgrade to a Heng Long 6.0S, but looking at the connectors it looked like the Taigen layout was similar. I put the Stug upper on my Taigen Panzer III. The eight pin hull connector plugged in with no problem and the other connectors mostly were correct. This Stug is IR only with barrel recoil. The recoil worked but the IR light is constantly on...I should be able to figure that out.

At any rate, to my knowledge the Taigen boards and Heng Long boards prior to the 6.0 have the same pin/connector layout. The motor connectors are JST XH for both. You can buy a Taigen V3 with TX, MFU, sound module and speaker for about $100 US. That may make sense if you need to purchase a MFU and a Transmitter.

Return to “Heng Long”