Channel 16 - TK6.1 MFU

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Channel 16 - TK6.1 MFU

Post by SimonCornes »

I recently acquired a 6.1 from Forgebear and Dave and Julie include the HL bag of leads. These include - I think - an IR emitter which plugs into Channel 15 and an IR socket with a 3 pin plug for Channel 16 to take the turret 'apple'. My question is this. The plug on the IR receiver socket is white and similar to the plugs for the turret traverse, elevation, etc but its a 3 pin version, not 2. It seems to be too thick to plug into the Channel 16 space. A black 3 pin plug, the same thickness as the 2 pin black LED plugs would be fine I think. Whats the answer? I have never seen a 6.1 fitted to a tank!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Channel 16 - TK6.1 MFU

Post by abramsky »

Hello Simon
As I understand you have the original "apple" IR from the HL kit?
There the JST PH 3 pin (2mm) connector is used.
JST PH 2mm socket
JST PH 2mm socket
DSCF8096.JPG (84.62 KiB) Viewed 928 times
You will find it on Farnell without any problems. You mount this 3 pin PH (2mm) socket in the turret (commander's or loader hatch - wherever you prefer) and next pull these three wires to the slip ring, or directly to the MFU 6.1 in the lower hull. Remember that in MFU the 3 pin plug is a typical 3 pin 2.54mm used as in servo extenders (e.g. Futaba standard etc.).
You can also just cut off this PH 3 pin plug in the IR receiver and add a standard servo extension cable, or use JST XH 3 pin (2.54mm) - like I did here:
JST XH 2,54mm 3 pin
JST XH 2,54mm 3 pin
DSCF8095.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 928 times
but it's a less sophisticated solution ;)
Here you will find a link to my disc with the full user manual for the TK 6.0 / 6.1 :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by abramsky on Fri May 14, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

abramsky wrote:Hello Simon
As I understand you have the original "apple" IR from the HL kit?
There the JST PH 3 pin (2mm) connector is used.
DSCF8096.JPG
You will find it on Farnell without any problems. You mount this 3 pin PH (2mm) socket in the turret (commander's or loader hatch - wherever you prefer) and next pull these three wires to the slip ring, or directly to the MFU 6.1 in the lower hull. Remember that in MFU the 3 pin plug is a typical 3 pin 2.54mm used as in servo extenders (e.g. Futaba standard etc.).
You can also just cut off this PH 3 pin plug in the IR receiver and add a standard servo extension cable, or use JST XH 3 pin (2.54mm) - like I did here:
DSCF8095.JPG
but it's a less sophisticated solution ;)
Here you will find a link to my disc with the full user manual for the TK 6.0 / 6.1 :
Ah!! I'm with you, this is designed to plug into the socket in the lower hull, not the MFU. So I need a standard 3 pin plug - probably with the tab at the end removed - as a replacement or at least to plug in directly to the MFU board. Got it - thank you! The 'apple' I have is the one currently supplied with V6 tanks, not the earlier version that looks like a Dalek!
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

It is only strange for me that you did not get with the set of wires the PH 3 PIN socket needed for the IR "apple"...
Anyway, I did all the wiring by myself (but it's a bit of soldering work ...) ;)
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

SimonCornes wrote: Ah!! I'm with you, this is designed to plug into the socket in the lower hull, not the MFU. So I need a standard 3 pin plug - probably with the tab at the end removed - as a replacement or at least to plug in directly to the MFU board.
The 3 PIN IR socket should be placed in the tower hatch for your convenience. And then from this socket you need connect the cables to the lower hull with the MFU. It will be more convenient during transport and when you want to disconnect the "apple" from the IR port while repairing the tower.
SimonCornes wrote:Got it - thank you! The 'apple' I have is the one currently supplied with V6 tanks, not the earlier version that looks like a Dalek!
I know this apple ... it almost doesn't works on a sunny day ...
Virtually no IR signal detection when the sun is shining. My DIY IR receiver works in all conditions ;)
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thank you matey, I'm completely clear on this now and I noticed your 4 aspect IR receiver on the HE Abrams! So far I've not got involved in any combat situations using the IR systems so I haven't had the chance to see how badly it works!! But you obviously know!! Thanks again.

Return to “Heng Long”