HL 6+ low voltage

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Jay-Em
Corporal
Location: The Chilly and Flat part of the Netherlands' North.

Re: HL 6+ low voltage

Post by Jay-Em »

Indeed. Even the best controllers are limited by what the wiring and other components can withstand without de-soldering itself, or making ‘magic smoke’. ( been there, done that.. big 700-size cobalt motors in large hydroplanes + almost 30v in NiCads. And a too large a prop.. Let’s say the FET’s were allright.. the mainboard connectors and wiring not so much :haha: )

We are lucky with the last gen 6.1xx Heng Long controllers, though. Precise control, Voltage cutoff, higher load capacity, Metal casings even. They’ve come a loooong way from the horrendous 27mc offerings of yore. And the included NiCads? Oh, my word, were théy bad.

Bottomline: The currently included LiIons aren’t really bad, but just cannot provide enough power for longer stints. Voltage cutoff will intervene before they are actually drained.
Luckily better batteries are plenty. The only problem being Heng Long’s T90 and T72 with their tiiiny battery compartments. Forcing One to use the smallish LiIons or purchase the (imho) in the UK somewhat expensive Arrowmax 100c/50c AM 700994 packs, or the Admiral LiIon packs for HL tanks.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Jay-Em wrote: We are lucky with the last gen 6.1xx Heng Long controllers, though. Precise control, Voltage cutoff, higher load capacity, Metal casings even. They’ve come a loooong way from the horrendous 27mc offerings of yore.
I have 3 versions of the HL TK 6.x series (6.0, 6.1 and 6.1s), and I have very detailed photos of the TK 7.0 pcb, so maybe someday I will find more time and write something more about them ...
Jay-Em wrote: Bottomline: The currently included LiIons aren’t really bad, but just cannot provide enough power for longer stints. Voltage cutoff will intervene before they are actually drained.
Luckily better batteries are plenty. The only problem being Heng Long’s T90 and T72 with their tiiiny battery compartments. Forcing One to use the smallish LiIons or purchase the (imho) in the UK somewhat expensive Arrowmax 100c/50c AM 700994 packs, or the Admiral LiIon packs for HL tanks.
Yeah. The main feature of the batteries added to the model by the manufacturer is that they must be cheap. Anyone expecting a high-performance battery and a good-quality charger may be disappointed.
First, after the purchase (if the model starts to behave strangely), I would start by replacing the battery. I use the Turnigy 20C 5000mAh Hard Case (for RC cars) and they are fantastic. On a single charge, the 6 kg model drives over rough terrain for over 60-70 minutes. My son needs nothing more :)
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Jay-Em wrote: The only problem being Heng Long’s T90 and T72 with their tiiiny battery compartments. Forcing One to use the smallish LiIons or purchase the (imho) in the UK somewhat expensive Arrowmax 100c/50c AM 700994 packs, or the Admiral LiIon packs for HL tanks.
I gave up on the LiIons for my all-metal running gear T-72 at an early stage. I had removed all the ridiculously large plastic cases which HL uses for its LiIons (why do they do that?) from my HL batteries so that I could have supply of small charged ones ready for the T-72, but then picked up one of the Arrowmax LiPos (cost me €35, which was cheaper than some I saw), so now I get a reasonable run time from one battery. There’s so little space in the T-72 hull with the protruding turret mechanisms as supplied that everything is a tight fit.

I’m learning much about batteries that I didn’t know that I didn’t know from the forum experts here...thanks!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

My 4 cell Li-Ion (2S2P) 18650 based battery pack works really well in my T-72 with a long runtime. With a slight mod to the battery compartment, it fit in the stock location also.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Heng Long”