Cut out?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
TigerAndy
Recruit

Cut out?

Post by TigerAndy »

Hello all, was wondering if anyone is a master at fixing this problem.
I have been working on a HL Tiger for two months now and done all the upgrades possible like new motors,gear boxes etc but all of a sudden my tank has developed a problem.

I have a link to the video better showing the problem but i will try to explain it best i can.
Tank will start up,makes engine sounds blah blah but when putting the motors in drive it will just stop randomly and shut the tank down or make the audio go a bit mental then shut down. I have disconnected everything except the motors and still have the same problem, i eve wired in my old motor and it still does the exact same thing, dont know if i may have damaged the board ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Cut out?

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

My money is on either a dead battery, not properly charged battery, or the battery connection isn't fully connected. With the latter, sometimes when you connect up these batteries, one of the metal connectors pushes right in and you don't get a good reliable connection.
With these tanks, if the power going to the control board is too low, the tank will shut down as soon as you engage a load.
Well, those are the first things I would look into before thinking about replacing expensive parts :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hello
This is a common issue with HL electricity. As Son of a gun-ner wrote, check the battery first. Although it may show over 8 volts when no load, in fact, when the tank is turned on (under load), the voltmeter will show you less than 8V...
MFU cuts off (turns off) when the voltage drops to around 7 volts (I don't remember exactly now).
Also check ( including the poor quality of Tamyia standard plug ) that your standard power switch is working properly. Due to their poor quality and quick wear ( contact wear ), they are also a frequent cause of such failures. The fact that the MFU turns on does not mean that the worn switch contacts are able to withstand the current consumption of the MFU / motors (worn contacts have increased resistance and can break).

My advice is to replace both components with high-quality replacements ASAP!
I recommend T-Deans or XT60 connectors, for batteries, high quality wiring with ( "silicone " ) e.g like this one:

( you should adjust the wire thickness to the current flow consumed by the MFU and motors )
, and metal tilt switches with increased durability and resistance to high current.

Good luck
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello,
what type of battery do you have? Nicd yellow (obsolete) or Nimh green? if you use the Heng Long charger, it is very bad, and has no name but power, advice invest in an automatic charger, indeed to join the other comments, it is like on your car, Battery HS enough voltage to turn on the dashboard indicator lights, but when there is a significant current draw (amperes) nothing.Unbaccus 7.2 volts at the end of charging must indicate, minimum 8.6 volts, but indeed the Tamiya sockets are sources of trouble, an element can also be hs in the pack
TigerAndy
Recruit

Post by TigerAndy »

Still using the basic battery that came with it, i have a pricey smart airsoft charger that i use and it worked perfectly, also fuly drain down the battery using abulb with a tamiya connector to make sure the battery doesnt get reconditioned.

It was like you said, purely dieing battery ! such a newb mistake lol ive not even had her out yet, purely testing when doing upgrades.

Can anyone suggest some good upgrade batteries with more capacity.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Personally, I use this, 4200 Mah already allows a good use, moreover these contain very good batteries, and never had any problems. For the charge, it is necessary to adapt the parameters, according to the type of battery on the charger, I do not do not know the "Airsoft" models it is weird that you are not indicated in default?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I usually purchase these from here.

7.2V 4300mAh SC NiMH RC Battery Pack Vapex | Component-Shop
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-2v-43 ... l?___SID=U
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Just to add to SOGs helpful advice, The fine people at "Component Shop" will put any connector that you want on the battery if you tell them when ordering for no extra cost.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
TigerAndy
Recruit

Post by TigerAndy »

This is the charger i use for all Nimh batteries it's a brilliant and cheap bit of kit that i have used for years with my stick batteries like the ones you guys linked me, unfortunatly my gun is an 8.2v so the batteries are both 8.2 and not 7.2 which is used in the tank.

https://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-s ... iot-proof/

These are a good brand and have a slightly higher capacity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312551961977 ... Track=true
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

8O
yes this type of batteries is OK, with actually a more serious connector (Dean) for me the charger is unsuitable, a 7.2 battery does not charge with an 8.2 volts, moreover it is necessary to be able to adjust the charge according to the capacity in Amperes of the battery, and other elements, that only a charger called "intelligent" can do
for me your charger is specially designed, for the Airsoft type of battery, and so you don't have to worry about any settings.
2FED200F-33E2-49CE-ADF8-523928884645.jpeg
2FED200F-33E2-49CE-ADF8-523928884645.jpeg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 1483 times
this type of charger is designed for Nicd, Nimh, lipo, lion, lead, etc. is plugged into the sector or 12 volts. A Nimh battery is charged according to its capacity (Amperes hour) and at 10 C, it is a say the 10th of the number of amperes, in glass case 1/10 of "4300 will charge 430/500 Mah and for 16 hours. But before you have to make some adjustments, hence the interest of these chargers the.
Comment recharger des accus Nimh ?
Re : Charger une NiMh
On peut recharger avec un courant constant égal au 1/10 de la capacité (par ex 600 mAh-> recharger à 60 mA pendant 10 ou 15 heures). Certains modèles acceptent des charges plus rapides. De toute façon il faut un chargeur à courant régulé
Deoled,in French !!!

Return to “Heng Long”