Fitting HL cannon smoker

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Fitting HL cannon smoker

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

tankme wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Indeed, but this arrangement requires quite a bit of work to modify the airsoft gun, to remove the airsoft function. However, there's no recoil function to replace airsoft, as is often the case. The HL unit (above) is designed to provide smoke, gunflash and recoil.
I guess since he asked about the smoker function I addressed the smoker question. The cannon smoke unit upgrade I saw at RC Tank Legion didn't have the recoil unit included.
Since he didn't ask about the recoil function it really didn't enter my mind. I would assume that he either didn't care about it or already had that part sorted. :) I will agree that if want recoil you would more than likely need to upgrade to the 6.1 or other electronics. There would also be additional mechanical work to achieve that goal.
Hey, that's okay :thumbup: Collectively, we can give Hartley the options he needs to mull over.
Haya's 'smokin' barrel' feature in the top end Chieftain ( recoil+ smoke+flash+IR batteling) is what I would go for- were it not for the fact that IR battling, where I live, is not an option :D
I was sent this diagram with the new servo HL recoil unit (designed for the 6.1s board). It shows how the smoker is attached to it, even if the text lacks a little clarity...

Going back to your original question, Hartley- if I were you, I'd replace the whole airsoft unit (instead of hacksawing it to death) with this HL recoil unit above. It's available from Forgebear. But that's just me. :D However, you'll also need the 6.1s board, or a later Clark board to get a recoil function with your flashing smoke.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Assuming the micro switch thats mounted to this unit is used to trigger the smoke function if fitted, how do we get a cannon fire sound ?
Or is that taken care of by the MFU once the action is called from the TX ?
Looking to fit up a 6.1s for a mate into a Stug & he has one of these recoils units already.
Wont need the smoking gun, but will want the cannon sound.
Thanks in advance for the advice.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

on the 6.1 you can just put a jumper into the microswitch socket and it will give you gun fire sound as soon as you trigger the gun
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Any idea how that would look ?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

phpBB [video]

1:58 in
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

thanks mate, I shall look carefully.
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

I do not wish to hijack the OP thread but maybe you could check out this link also Herman for some information on the 6.1s board and operating functions :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=195&t=28707

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Post by Dr Phibes »

I'm working on a Haya Chieftain rebuild at the moment - this is the airsoft version with smoking and flashing cannon, etc. At the time I got it there wasn't an IR version available. Since the BB unit doesn't have a micro trigger for the barrel smoke (like that on the HL recoil unit you have) what Haya have done is to run a single wire, soldered to the back of the barrel smoke control unit, to the 'led 1' on their 6.3 (a HL 6.1s). Led 1 is the barrel flash socket so they have managed to use this to trigger the barrel smoker. The cannon flash led itself is plugged into JST socket A on the HL diagram, but I'm not sure this is the same board as the HL as even the heater and pump/fan are plugged into different sockets(?).

With the Haya installation Socket '5' (on the smoker board) is plugged into 'Aux' (Ch.5 on the Haya 6.3, which is the same on the HL MFUs) and simply supplies power to the barrel smoker control board and can be switched on and off with the Tx. What I can't tell you is how/where exactly the have connected the lead on the rear of the board as I can't make out the circuit layout from just looking at it.
What is surprising is that it all worked quite well :crazy: . Anyway, I'm not sure any of this helps but hope it might give some clues at least. 8O :)

Return to “Heng Long”