First time out and small issue

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
deckchair
Recruit

First time out and small issue

Post by deckchair »

Hi. Took my HL Sherman V6 out for a stroll around the kitchen for the first time and found that the right hand driver track was not operating. I took it apart and can see the problem, it requires a wire to be re-soldered. No problem to anyone with experience, but having never done this before, somewhat daunting. I can follow a You Tube on how to solder and learn that, but have no idea as to which soldering iron (size and manufacturer) and what solder to use in the environs of a plastic tank. What do you guys use?
Slightly disappointed that it should fail like this on its first adventure, but hey ho, it was bound to happen and so I start my learning curve - now wish I had paid more attention in school.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: First time out and small issue

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

All depends how much soldering you are likely to do. An iron that's 40 to 60 watts with a narrow/fine tip is best for electronics, but for the odd couple of jobs, it's not worth spending a lot on a soldering station.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Take a look at this.

10 silly mistakes to avoid when soldering. - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30291

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

And this.

Best solder for rc tanks? - RC Tank Warfare
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=25116

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Just keep in mind that if you are going to solder or learn to solder that any new iron you use needs to be tinned. I have had trouble in the past tinning my soldering iron tips, but then I bought some Thermaltronics Lead Free Tip Tinner. It works great to tin the tip of new or old soldering irons. Never knew the product existed, but it works great.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
deckchair
Recruit

Post by deckchair »

Wow, thank you guys, really helpful. I feel I'm an expert already, and have now bought the appropriate kit to get going. Lets hope I don't burn any holes in my toys!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Post a pic of the offending disconnect, if you can. I imagine some here might be curious to see what the problem is. You really shouldn't be having 'dry joints', or broken connections, on a brand new tank- especially as the V 6.0 series seem to be much more dependable than earlier HL offerings. Then again, this is where the tinkering ( B| ) (dodgy models) began for lots of us... :D I'd guess.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
deckchair
Recruit

Post by deckchair »

Thanks for this offer, I have the photo on my phone, but how to transfer it to this site?
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
At the bottom of the message,options then download attachements :thumbup:
deckchair
Recruit

Post by deckchair »

Argh, feel so dumb, I cannot see Options on this reply message, nor downloads anywhere except the Downloads page !! Apologies

Return to “Heng Long”