TK 6.0 MFU Max Current

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
TicTrac
Recruit

TK 6.0 MFU Max Current

Post by TicTrac »

Hello Everyone.

Does anyone out there know the maximum current the TK 6.0 control board can handle?

I'm thinking of upgrading the motors on my Challenger 2 but I'm wary of doing so blindly in case I fry the MFU.

Do Heng Long publish detailed specs for their electronics anywhere? I see that the MFU can handle up to 12.6V but can find nothing on amp rating.

Many thanks,

Paul.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: TK 6.0 MFU Max Current

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,it is written 7,2 to 12,6 volts,why want to know the maximum current ??below 7,2 will not work and beyon 12,6 will burn out !!
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

These numbers seem to suggest that it works with 2s liion up to 3s lipo. The actual range in my understanding should be 6.2 (it should cut off power at that voltage) and the maximum for a 3s lipo is 12.60. 3s lipo should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

First off.
The MFU doesn't fry because you supply too much amperage. It will fry because of the heat generated by consuming too much amperage.
You can have a 20C and a 100C 5000MaH Lipo battery. One will be able to supply upto 100A continuously, the other will supply 500A continuously from the basic rules of thumb.
Discharge Rating (C) * AmpHours = Continuous Amp Discharge.
You can use either battery in the same tank with no issues as long as you do not exceed the current draw requirements.
A circuit will only draw a defined amount of current. In the case of an electric motor, You have a current draw dependant upon the imposed load up to stall current.

Example would be a M5-RS380-72 motor (One of many examples...)
3v-12v with nominal 7.2v
@ No load, 0.6A draw and 16,200 RPM
@6.91 oz-in (~500 g/cm) load, 3.6A Draw and 13,890 RPM (Maximum efficiency)
@ stall 11.51 oz-in (~825 g/cm) load, 21.6A Draw

This is why when you try and drive your tank with a jammed track you melt an MFU (usually the FETs) or a wire from the heat generation at the high current levels.
A typical 18AWG wire will handle 20A continuous.
If your tank is cooking the MFU for anything other than the drive motors. The smaller 180 size rotation/elevation motors usually have a 2.0-2.5A stall current rating (hence the 22-28 AWG for up to 2A)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

TicTrac wrote:Hello Everyone.

Does anyone out there know the maximum current the TK 6.0 control board can handle?

I'm thinking of upgrading the motors on my Challenger 2 but I'm wary of doing so blindly in case I fry the MFU.

Do Heng Long publish detailed specs for their electronics anywhere? I see that the MFU can handle up to 12.6V but can find nothing on amp rating.

Many thanks,

Paul.
I stumbled on this, if you scroll down to the second table, Clark give a comparison between theirs and the Heng Long TK6.0's, and it appears that there is a max of 60 amps for the tracks, I'm guessing that means the total for both drive motors together.
As I don't personally know the answer to your question, I thought I'd just share this information for you to decide.

TK6.0  Series Tank Controller
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx10/index.html
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: I stumbled on this, if you scroll down to the second table, Clark give a comparison between theirs and the Heng Long TK6.0's, and it appears that there is a max of 60 amps for the tracks, I'm guessing that means the total for both drive motors together.
As I don't personally know the answer to your question, I thought I'd just share this information for you to decide.

TK6.0  Series Tank Controller
http://www.clark-model.com/eng/prod_rx10/index.html
The charts are copied from pretty much every other Clark listing.
For Clark boards, 20A if to connect motor from on-board connector (JST-XH 2Pin), 60A if hardwiring the motor to PCB pads (aka soldering)
I have had my JST connector for the motor melt due to heat of a jammed track and Taigen Black V3 gearboxes.
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Even on the HL 6.1S MFU, the battery cables are still only 18AWG wire. That, assuming a decent silicone insulation sheath, should be able to handle 20A continuous.

There is a reason why batteries and hobby RC 1/10 brushless cars used 12 AWG and larger for power connections.
12AWG is closer to 55A, with 10 and 8 being 75 & 100 A continuous current draw. (All rough guestimates and at minimal cable lengths).
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Thank you Mr Jarlath, are you saying the link I posted is misleading? And no good?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jarlath
Corporal

Post by Jarlath »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Thank you Mr Jarlath, are you saying the link I posted is misleading? And no good?
Nope. Your link is good. Looks like the TK-6.0 board works like a factory HL. My guess would also be 30A per motor channel.
Clark actually recommends a 10A fuse on the input power on TK-2x/6x series boards.... (Which have 20A JST-XH drive circuits, 6A turret rotate/elevate and 6A smoker max draws).

What I am iffy on are the FET's being able to support 30A continuous on either board...
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I recommend an Elmod fusion Pro with a 20 amp fuse. Sweet set up with almost unlimited possibilities. However I am quite biased as the Elmod board offers the best customization.

Return to “Heng Long”