TK 6.0 MFU Max Current

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: TK 6.0 MFU Max Current

Post by jhamm »

Hello,
take a look at the JST-XH 2.5mm Pitch spec:
JST-XH-Leistung.jpg
JST-XH-Leistung.jpg (77.31 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
It is rated 3A....
in most cases a std. 390 Motor draw under load not more than 3A
with bigger motors this is a walk on a knife edge
the change @ the TK6.xx to other motor connectors/cables is the right way.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Isn't 3 amps at 250 volts a tad different from 3 amps at 7 to 12 volts :think:
I'm sure the resistance under load is a lot different. The wattage would be far lower.

Yeah, a kilowatt at 240 volts draws 4.2 amps, so 3 amps at 250 volts is 750 watts, or 0.75 kilowatt causing around 83 ohms resistance.
And 3 amps at only 12 volts is only 36 watts, causing around 4 ohms resistance, those plugs will easily cope with 30 amps at 7 to 12 volts.

Therefore, 30 amps at 12 volts is 360 watts giving 0.4 ohms resistance. I chose 12 volts as that's close to the highest voltage we put through those plugs.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
TicTrac
Recruit

Post by TicTrac »

Thanks for your replies fellas.

I have previous experience of installing larger motors into a fast patrol boat model which were amp hungry and took great delight in blowing 15A fuses, hence my question relating to tank MFU amp "safety" rating. The ESC on my boat could handle up to 20A on each DC brushed motor which I understand is fairly conservative in these times of Lipo batteries and brushless motors.

The Clark comparison table is very informative - thank you. I doubt that any motors I choose to install would have a stall current in excess of 10A each so hopefully the HL TK6.0S will be safe.

It's a shame that HL don't publish technical specs for their electronics (as far as I can tell) when it's clear that enthusiasts enjoy upgrading their models.

All the best,

Paul. :thumbup:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hi guys

First. If I make a mistake somewhere - please forgive me. My English need to polish a lot but I'm doing my best :D

I read this topic with interest, and since I have two versions of MFU HL TK 6.0 and 6.1 I decided to add my 5 cents to this interesting conversation.
As I am very curious, I looked at what's inside right after I bought it and I can tell you that my version 6.1 from December 2018 differs only in a few small details from the version 6.0 from October 2018 ;)

Mainly because the ESC circuit of the TK 6.1 uses:
MOSFET 80N03
Maximum Drain-Source Voltage 30V
Continuous Drain Current 80A (25 ° C)
Continuous Drain Current 60A (100 ° C)
Drain Current (pulsed) 320A
Total Power Dissipation - 150W ( at TC = 25 ° C )
Maximum Junction Temperature - 175 ° C

And in the TK 6.0 version:
APM2558N MOSFET
Drain-Source Voltage 25V
Continuous Drain Current 60A (Current limited by bond wire.)
Maximum Power Dissipation:
50W - at TC = 25 ° C
20W - atTC = 100 ° C
Maximum Junction Temperature - 150 ° C

So as you can see the differences are, but both versions should withstand much more than a gentle ride. And these Mosfets can withstand much more than while normal ride. Of course, under certain conditions (especially during unskillful using eg. long-term blockage of the drive and the use of motors with significantly exceeded current consumption), the MFU may be damaged, but before this happens, the wires may not withstand such a high current and a fire may occur in the insulation and as a result, a short circuit in the gearbox power cables. In the worst case, the entire model may burn ...

Below two links to the datasheet of both of them:

80N03 (in TK 6.1)
https://alltransistors.com/mosfet/trans ... stor=23991

APM2558N (in TK 6.0)
https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet ... 2558N.html

Return to “Heng Long”