Help with wiring, 6.0 upgrade....

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
cascabel
Recruit

Re: Help with wiring, 6.0 upgrade....

Post by cascabel »

The slip ring was already in the tank when it was 5.3. Per the advice found on another forum, I plugged everything directly into the MFU. Everything works fine except for the airsoft gun. Should I do away with the existing slip ring, and be careful about twisting the wires when operating the tank, or is there a better solution ? The earlier slip ring may be the reason I have extra wires that I cannot figure out. I tried to make use of it, but perhaps that was a bad decision. Do you recommend that I buy a 6.0 slip ring and start the installation over ? Thanks much for your help !!
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The 5.3 slip ring should be fine as there is little difference between 5.3 and 6.0 turret wiring on the 5.3 the IR emitter is connected to the bb gun while on the 6.0 its on a separate circuit . There should be three two pin plugs 1 for elevation CN4, 1 for bb gun CN10, 1 for micro switch CN6. If the bb gun isnt working check the wiring on the bb gun and disconnect the bulb that is in the mantle.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Airsoft version : dies your Thank have this king iff button?? Gén?rally on the turret abd small hatch ? If so chek that On...not knoning the TK -06,?this was on version with RX 18, but personal would look anyway
IMG_6458.JPG
IMG_6458.JPG (98.29 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
cascabel
Recruit

Post by cascabel »

Does not have that button. Unfortunately, lots of 6.0 parts are available, but very little information on upgrading is available, and that is why I am having trouble !!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

cascabel wrote:Does not have that button. Unfortunately, lots of 6.0 parts are available, but very little information on upgrading is available, and that is why I am having trouble !!
Looking at this logically, if the airsoft gun was fully functional before the upgrade, then it's likely the problem has to be either with the slip ring wiring, or the new V6.0 unit. Assuming that the V.6.0
unit is good (one would hope so, as it's new- presumably), and that the slip ring performed faultlessly before the upgrade, then there has to be a compatibility issue somewhere in the wiring and connectors. I had an airsoft gun lately that went through the motions of firing, but disgorged nothing. A tiny plastic burr within the pellet feed tube (I discovered eventually) was causing a logjam of pellets (to mix a metaphor ) within the loading process. A temporary expedient was to give the turret a good slap before firing! :D There's an outside chance that a mechanical issue (blockage etc) could be the cause. Also, bear in mind that the gun requires a fully charged battery in order fire properly.
From a website I just checked, I gathered that the 5.3 slip ring is only for 5.3 setups, and the V6.0 is designed for 6.0 electronics. Doubtless, there maybe ways round this; but you haven't found them so far, it appears. :problem:
I found these pics on Alieexpress. They show a 12- wire V6.0 unit being installed on a King Tiger (at least, it looks like a KT turret)
It may be, of course, that your 5.3 wiring harness doesn't look the V6.0 basic harness already in place in the turret, but the photos might help, nonetheless.
If I were you, I think I would have gone for the dedicated V6.0 slip ring setup, as it's a perfect match for the new controller. Then again, I've only used Taigen slip rings in the past, and found them to be
a disappointment, to be frank- and not especially robust :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
cascabel
Recruit

Post by cascabel »

Thanks, I'm still trying. I ordered a 6.0 slip ring today to see if that cures the problem. As per info on another forum, I connected everything directly to the MFU bypassing the slip ring. All functions work nicely, except for the gun. I am suspecting something is amiss with the gun itself, so i ordered another one. The motor on the gun runs just fine, but does not seem to be compressing the spring in order to fire. Will try again when I receive the new parts
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

cascabel wrote:Thanks, I'm still trying. I ordered a 6.0 slip ring today to see if that cures the problem. As per info on another forum, I connected everything directly to the MFU bypassing the slip ring. All functions work nicely, except for the gun. I am suspecting something is amiss with the gun itself, so i ordered another one. The motor on the gun runs just fine, but does not seem to be compressing the spring in order to fire. Will try again when I receive the new parts
Sounds as if you've got the right methodical approach. :thumbup: I don't have a 5.3 version Heng Long tank in my collection, and so it's difficult to visualise the routes taken by your electronic components
to the Controller board/MFU.
Do you have one of these in your upper hull?Image if so, then I suspect that a wire shared by the Elevation Unit and the gun is not connected in the right place, or isn't earthed/grounded.
There are many references to airsoft/BB repairs and problem-solving in the archive here, and so it's a good idea to seek them out with the 'search' button.
In the meantime, do check out relevant videos on Airsoft fixes posted by an esteemed former ( :'( ) member of the forum, Gary (aka- Max U-52)
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

It is possible just to buy the plastic receiver for the gun (it has a delicate seal in it which, if damaged could be the source of your problems). Here's an example of the receiver- just for future reference:
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... Tank_.html
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A few other wilder bits of speculation.
1. Have you got the little IR apple fitted that comes with the V6.0 series controllers?
If so, the Airsoft won't fire BBs. With the Apple connected, the BB function is nullified. :problem:
2. Are you using the original 5.3 Transmitter than came with the tank? From what I've read, V6.0 transmitters- even though they look the same as the 5.3 iteration- are the only ones that work properly with V6.0 Controller boards. That's according to two online suppliers. It might be a marketing ploy, but it's probably the case anyway.
cascabel
Recruit

Post by cascabel »

These videos are VERY helpful !! I finally determined that something is stripped in my airsoft unit, and that is why the motor spins, but nothing happens. I have not bothered to open the unit, and just ordered a replacement.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Lastly, this is how Heng Long (and Taigen) Airsoft tanks used to be wired. The elevation motor used to be cycled in a slow, annoying fashion (i.e., you couldn't just elevate and depress the gun directly with the toggle), then Heng Long revised its wiring with the 5.3 models in order to fix the elevation niggle. For Clark board users, it was also necessary to modify the airsoft circuit in order to accommodate
Clark's revised electronics. 'Taigentanks' (Erik of Taigen) posted a video on Youtube about the mod.
This is what the Airsoft circuit looked like when Taigen and Heng Long had pretty identical setups:
Early wiring diagram for Airsoft models
Early wiring diagram for Airsoft models
Click on the pic to ENLARGE it.
This is what all that looks like as a complete circuit:
The safety switch has disappeared from later models, as it now requires the user to both the 'A' and 'B' buttons on the transmitter to activate the airsoft gun, making an accidental shot almost impossible.
At the same time, the wire from the Elevation unit has been re-routed. Hope this all helps.
Full wiring diagrams are available for V6.0 series models, but I can't find a detailed one for the earlier 5.3 systems- although 5.3 wiring did include a new 8 Pin connector, which then effectively separated the Elevation and Airsoft circuits.

Return to “Heng Long”