Old dead tiger needs some help

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Miniman394
Recruit

Old dead tiger needs some help

Post by Miniman394 »

Hi guys, I have an approx 8 year old HL tiger which does not work.
It has a Rx14 board, I have tried fitting an RX18 Version 3 board but nothing works
I have upgraded the gearboxes and all the running gear but the tank won't run.
What electrics can I replace THE RX18 board with?
When I test the motors etc individually they all function.
I have both the old type transmitter and the new type.

I have been away from the hobby for about 10 years whilst I have been rebuilding classic mini's and would like to get my old tiger running again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Old dead tiger needs some help

Post by Max-U52 »

Where are you? I've got piles of mfu boards lying around, but you have to pay postage. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Miniman394
Recruit

Post by Miniman394 »

Hi Max, I am in Wolverhampton, no problem paying.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Sorry, I was hoping you'd be on this side of the puddle. Postage across the Atlantic is so high I don't even offer to send stuff over. You should be able to find and buy a used MFU/TX right here on the forum and getting it there means you'll end up paying less than if I were to mail you one for free.

I really hate that pond because of how it limits the help I can give on the east side of it. There's a guy right now looking for a Panther G upper hull but his info doesn't say where he is so I'm keeping my mouth shut, but if I knew he was in the states I would send him to Erik, who most likely has what he needs but doesn't ship outside the U.S. I'm pretty sure he's in the UK, but if everyone would post their location (at least what continent they're on) it would make life easier for me. 8)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :'(
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Miniman394
Recruit

Post by Miniman394 »

That's OK thanks for the offer anyway.
I hav recently bought a brand new HK tiger so I am up and running, I just want to see if I can get the old girl running, before I buy any new stuff, as if the old girl is going to be too expensive to rebuild I will take all the upgrades off and fit them to the new one.
I'm hoping she will run again.
Where abouts are you in the States? We have family living in Largo, Florida, and an old army buddy living in Wusconson.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

As it says in the little box, I'm in Detroit. It can be hard to find sometimes, but if you go to your profile page and enter your location then others will know right away if they're close enough to be of help to you. If you have people in Florida you may be able to take advantage of Imex, as they're also in Florida, near Tampa.

As for the old Tiger, I love to help with projects like that, anything to keep a tank from disappearing into the black hole we call a "closet". Another reason for me to be mad at the ocean. If not for the Atlantic I could send you a V1 MFU and a matching TX in a medium flat-rate box for about $15, but postage to the UK would be closer to $60, and I believe you can get the same gear over there for a used price of about $40, still cheaper than paying postage from me. It's not very often I envy the Chinese, but that government subsidized postage definitely makes me just a bit green. If I had rates that low I'd be able to help a LOT more guys!!

You might take a look at this thread by Tom, and see if he still has something that can help you get that Tiger going again for a reasonable price, and tell him I said he's asking too much for that MFU, he should knock off about ten quid!! @) @)

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29869

Again, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I'll be looking forward to photos of whatever you do with the Tiger, and if the new tank has the new 6.0 I'd love to hear your opinions of it. I have a couple and really like them, but I still haven't tried the 6.1, which I hear is in the new King Tigers. I really want to hear from one of our members about the barrel recoil and the smoking cannon barrel. You know, how it works, how they like it, and so on.
Miniman394
Recruit

Post by Miniman394 »

Hi Max, yes the pond is a bit of a pain in the ar5e!
I'm just waiting for someone to start digging a tunnel!
I'm not sure if my new tiger is 6.0 or 6.1 I will be having a look inside tomorrow so I will let you know, so far I'm very pleased, the controls seem a lot smoother than I remember, accelerate /decelerate are good and the turret movement is realistic in as much as the traverse goes fast and then slows down as you move the joystick back to the middle.
Detroit eh! The Motor City, I love all the old US muscle cars, just wish I could afford one.
I will get some pics up once I have started the additions.

I have started making some of the accessories, just made all new cleaning rods from brass and have also included a barrel cleaning brush!

Being a British Army Veteran of 24 years and having served in Recon, Armoured recon and challenger 1 I have an I site into what tank crews would do to their vehicles.
I am not building any particular model or individual vehicle, I hope to build a tiger that has all the things on it that I would have 'aquired' if I had been a tiger commander or crewman.

Return to “Heng Long”