Help With Heng Long Tiger 1 Sounds

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
SherFly1940
Recruit

Help With Heng Long Tiger 1 Sounds

Post by SherFly1940 »

Been working on a tiger 131 model, but I none of the engine sounds that came with it sound like the maybach engine. Is there any way I can simply change a sound that exists on the board with my computer without buying a new board? If it helps i own a TK 6.0 board
Current Tanks:
Heng Long Panzer VI Tiger 1 (IR)
Sherman Firefly (Coming July 2020)
Find me on World of Tanks @ntailor023
Thingiverse Account: PanzerFactory
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Help With Heng Long Tiger 1 Sounds

Post by jarndice »

I fear the only way to get a change in engine sounds is to change your control board which then sends you hurtling into the law of diminishing returns,
New Board = New transmitter = extra cost and are you sure that the sounds are not a Maybach V12,
Could it be you need a better speaker? =More cost :lolno:
And don't forget that after May 1943 the engine was changed from a HL 210 P45 to a Maybach HL230 so perhaps your Heng Long Sound card is producing the later Maybach sound and not the earlier engine that you were expecting :crazy:
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

One is a tiger I sound, I agree a better speaker maybe worth a try. :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I hope you are not basing your Tiger 1s engine noise on the Bovington Tank Museums Tiger 1 ---131 because that was fitted with a Maybach HL 230 V12 from a Tiger2 a few years ago when it was being restored to running order by the Museum/Royal Armoured Corps REME Engineers.
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

That’s actually one thing that I had forgotten. They blew the first engine which was from the correct period during the first drive without turret. The found another engine from a Konigstiger. I have the sound from 131... This got me scratching my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

My understanding is that Tamiya recorded the Tiger 1 engine sounds in their kit from Bovingtons 131,
Does anyone know if the recording was of the original engine or the replacement engine?
If it is from the replacement engine then it is not an accurate recording of a Maybach HL210 which is what 131 would have originally had installed.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

jarndice wrote:My understanding is that Tamiya recorded the Tiger 1 engine sounds in their kit from Bovingtons 131,
Does anyone know if the recording was of the original engine or the replacement engine?
If it is from the replacement engine then it is not an accurate recording of a Maybach HL210 which is what 131 would have originally had installed.
I think they recorded the Tiger 2.
And then they used the sound in the tiger 1, 2, panther and jagdpanther.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Pretty sure Tamiya state that it was recorded from the KingTiger at Samur - don't think the Bovington Tiger was running back then.

Not sure why people keep expecting the HL210 and HL230 to sound different - one is basically a slightly bored out version of the other, and given that the engine is inside a steel box, you aren't going to notice any differences in radiated crankcase noise due the different crankcase material. Engine exhaust note will be the same as the crank angles are the same, and it doesn't get worked hard enough for the gas flow to be significantly different to make a noticeable noise in the mufflers.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

In my experience the resonance from a cast iron engine is quite different from an Aluminium engine.
In my youth at the Garage where I was apprenticed we had a tame Italian who was an ace tuner,
He loved listening to ally Italian and German engines through his stethoscope but muttered long and loud about the agricultural British and American Iron engines :lolno:
The two Maybach engines were cast in different metals,
One was in Aluminium (HL210) and one was in cast iron.(HL230)
They really will not sound the same.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Please re-read my post. I do know the effect of changing crankcase structure on engine sounds, I have been designing them for over 20 years.

As I said The Tiger's engine bay is a sealed box due to the wading requirement. The only hole is the letter box opening on the top deck that the engine breaths through. In 131's case, this hole is connected to the Fiefel aircleaners, and therefore any escaping sound is muffled by the hoses.

This is why when you watch the tank being driven, it is noticeably quieter than anything else in the arena at Bovington.

Return to “Heng Long”