HL Tiger 1 Asiatam recoil issues

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Maybach 1961
Recruit

HL Tiger 1 Asiatam recoil issues

Post by Maybach 1961 »

Bear with me here,
Have a 4th gen HL Tiger 1, on/off switch on hull bottom, 8 pin connector w/ 3- 2 pin and 1- 3 pin systems connectors on underside top hull
Installed the Asiatam unit w/o any issues. Went in smoothly, be nice if some instructions were sent along. But it all worked out
Received a revised hull connector position and 'Refit' B picture tutorial from RCtank, Germany. Which had me take the elevation side 3 lead JST connector to a two lead which is then plugged into #4 position on the hull connector
I then plugged the recoil side of the unit two wire lead into #2 position on the 8 pin hull connector.
I wired the neg lead coming off recoil micro switch to neg side of the on/off switch located on hull bottom.
I turned the tank on, immediately the yellow wire coming off micro switch began to smoke, sheathing started to burn off I turn the tank off immediately.
Hmmm, what happened..well the large top gear was installed UPSIDE DOWN. the pin which strikes the microswitch tail was UP, the molded in portion of the gear that looks like a 'C' on the bottom. This struck the microswitch and jammed the motor.
Ok, flipped the top gear, plugged everything back into...and WOW..everything works, recoil, flash, track recoil..instantaneously ! VERY COOL....problem is that it just runs and runs..it will not shut off, the elevation turns continuously, so does the recoil. My transmitter has no control..
I'm close now, and the Asiatam works far better than I could have thought...
Any ideas .....could the microswitch been damaged from over heating, ?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: HL Tiger 1 Asiatam recoil issues

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's the microswitch that triggers the recoil action- and the subsequent flash/boom - on that particular unit. For it to work continuously, it sounds like the contacts must have fused together in the 'on' position.
As for the averted conflagration-considering, the heat involved, it's very surprising that you got away with only moderate damage. Watch out for those charred wires, though. You don't want your Tiger 'brewing up' on the carpet. 8O Otherwise, you might be replacing more than tank parts. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Maybach 1961
Recruit

Post by Maybach 1961 »

Your right, I meaning it was cooking, then the motherboard started to lightly smoke at one corner....HOLY #(##%%$)#^$#@ # !!!
Everything does work though, I'm in the process removing the hair width gauge wires with more robust gauge.
****My only question now is why does the elevation motor keeps running..doesn't seem to be synced w/ the transmitter. Should be a separate issue -right !
I found a replacement micro switch...$12 for 4 shipped.
Anyway, this is fun stuff, which is the point, doing it yourself makes it more rewarding ..after I flipped the gear, and it worked..it was how cool is that !
I appreciate the help though..I can do soldering, figure out what type of LED resistor I need...I just installed new resistors in the headlight leads to dim them down. That stuff is OK. This rewiring, diagnosing is all new... If I can get this fixed, get the elevation side to work, I'd be pretty happy. Once electronics are done, then I can air brush, weather, apply my new set of Peddinghaus decals .
Thank you !
JEFF
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

if your turret recoil keeps going when you turn your tank on it needs to be reset gentle hold the barrel turn on the tank you will feel when the barrel moves and should reset and stop
:thumbup:
Maybach 1961
Recruit

Re: HL Tiger 1 Asiatam recoil issuesOK

Post by Maybach 1961 »

OK,
Same apply for the elevation side...both motors run steady ON...the recoil and elevation...I'll give it a try..!
Thank you !
JEFF
Maybach 1961
Recruit

Post by Maybach 1961 »

OK,
I'll try that...both recoil and elevation are steady ON position..
Thanks
JEFF

Return to “Heng Long”