Connecting Taigen Turret to HL Tiger?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Connecting Taigen Turret to HL Tiger?

Post by Jimster »

I just received my Taigen Tiger BB turret with recoil for my Heng Long Tiger. I’m having trouble connecting the Taigen wires to the 2.4 dual sound RX-18. New power switch installed just fine and it has a pair of pigtailed wires attached that connects to one of the turret wire connectors. This connection is shown in a picture that came with the turret. That leaves a two pin connector and a three pin connector coming from the turret but I can’t figure out where they go. I may have to do some soldering but could somebody please tell where to connect these wires to the RX 18. The photos sent with the turret are for using the Taigen MFU and it’s of no help to me. Any help would be appreciated. I forgot to mention that with the turret wires attached to the new switch wiring an electrical buzzing noise emits from the BB unit. It stops humming at times but usually hums. Nothing is getting hot or smells burned.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Connecting Taigen Turret to HL Tiger?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I have two Tigers with the Taigen BB/Airsoft barrel recoil feature. I'll check the wiring a little later. In the meantime, the 2-pin and 3-pin wiring blocks from the turret, are meant to connect to the wiring block
on the upper hull. You won't have that, of course, because you have the HL Tiger. What's more, I think the barrel servo recoil is only likely to work with a Taigen MFU. I could be wrong, of course. After all, the
BB barrel recoil unit will work with the IBU2 MFU...but I can't think of instances where it has been paired successfully with the HL MFU. :think: :think: .
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Right, well I've just taken this snap of a Taigen Tiger with the BB Barrel Recoil feature. The wiring points are indicated by the red arrows. The 3-Pin connector from the gun actually goes into the block on the hull roof. That's the block served by the 8-pin connector cable. A two-pin adaptor draws juice for the servo (hidden behind the gun) from a union with the MFU power connector (from the Battery). The two-pin connector from the gun goes to the MFU.
At a later date, I revised the wiring by installing a 360 deg slip ring, and an IBU2. Here the recoil unit is connected to a Taigen 2.4 g MFU. (This is probably what you'll need... :problem: )
Hope this helps a bit.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I guess I’ll put this to rest for now. I’m going to get a Clark TK22 soon so I’ll just wait and mess with it then. Thanks for the thoughtful responses.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Jimster the Clark unit is not plug and play either for airsoft. . You will need to solder and review the website before you install it. May also need a Sony remote. :wave:

I believe the IBU2U is plug and play if I remember correctly.
Tanks alot.... :wave:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Carl's right, Jimster. The IBU2 is plug and play, and does support the Taigen (servo operated) Airsoft Barrel Recoil feature. But, as far as I can recall, the Clark TK22 doesn't. In any event, there's a bit of soldering involved to make the Clark unit even compatible with Airsoft. Erik, from Taigentanks, covers that wiring fix on Youtube.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

I have several IBU2U boards and they have the sockets for the taigen airsoft and servo recoil ports. Check out thier website to get familiar with the boards.

https://www.rctankelectronics.com/

Carl
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Thanks, Carl. Nice website and not too expensive I guess (120.00). I will more than likely order from them unless there’s a supplier here in the US but first I want to confirm that these Ibu2u units are plug-n-play for my Taigen turret? Do I need to buy a different controller or can I use my Heng Long controller? Sorry for the rookie questions but electronics is not one of my strong points.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Thanks, Carl. Nice website and not too expensive I guess (120.00). I will more than likely order from them unless there’s a supplier here in the US but first I want to confirm that these Ibu2u units are plug-n-play for my Taigen turret? Do I need to buy a different controller or can I use my Heng Long controller? Sorry for the rookie questions but electronics is not one of my strong points.
You will need a hobby grade transmitter and receiver for the IBU2 series, Jimster. The same applies with any aftermarket MFU/controller (Clark etc..). A Taigen MFU/Transmitter V2 or V3 combination should work with your Taigen turret without the need for adaptation. But, I'm pretty sure you'll also need the Taigen -style 8-pin connector block (daughter board) for a seamless link up. Ad an incidental, the very latest Taigen MFU's also allow you to use a hobby- grade transmitter, if you happen to have one. Whereas (I think I'm right in saying), HL MFU's only work with dedicated, and matched, HL transmitters.

Ok, well to unpack that lot for you, the following combinations worked for me:
Taigen Metal turret with Airsoft Barrel recoil + Taigen 2.4Ghz Multifunction unit + Taigen Transmitter (same generation)
" " " " " " " + IBU2 (Pro) + Flysky FS-T6 transmitter and receiver.
Overall, I'd say the Taigen package is cheaper, and easier to link up for the novice. But, long term, the IBU2 is a vastly superior bit of kit with potential for expansion (servo assistance, sound effects, and so on).
I wouldn't worry about asking questions, Jim. :) We all had to begin somewhere :thumbup:
When I began, (in RC terms) I didn't know my a**e from my elbow. (I believe you say: 'Sh*t from shinola' in the US.. :D )

Here's a link to the Taigen site. On this page, you would need the Upper hull daughterboard, and one of the electronics packages (V2 TX/MFU or V3 but with Taigen orHobby grade TX). With this lot, setting up your turret should be much less of a task. Good luck.
Roy.
https://www.taigentanks.com/taigen-parts/ele-gb
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello,
FYI : At one time Taigen used this ,for the system servo recoil,the withe connector coming from the turntable,and the servo on the reference HY-TGTK- servo ( RC Tank.de ) if can help

Return to “Heng Long”