HL Challenger smoker - Help!

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL Challenger smoker - Help!

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

After reading so many disappointing reviews regarding the Tarr units, I can only give you this entry I wrote some time ago and I have to update:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... erators-2/

But before you do anything, just remove the excess of oil in the deposit.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Steelhammer
Lance Corporal

Post by Steelhammer »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:After reading so many disappointing reviews regarding the Tarr units, I can only give you this entry I wrote some time ago and I have to update:

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... erators-2/

But before you do anything, just remove the excess of oil in the deposit.
Thank you. I will pop it apart tomorrow and see what the score is.....I've almost certainly over filled it. In future I think I will employ a small syringe rather than the squeezy bottle.
Tamiya King Tiger (no options)
Taigen Full Metal T34 (winter)
Heng Long Challenger II (European camo')
Tamiya Tiger I full options (still in the box)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Steelhammer wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:It's worth trying the Tarr smokers Jarndice recommended. Used properly, they can produce more smoke that hippies round a Hookah and- and this is a big advantage- they make none of the noisy clanking noises associated with Hl/Taigen smokers. :thumbup:
Yes, it certainly does make some noise , the one that came with it. That said I'm still blown away by the value for money that my Chally represents compared to say Tamiya.

I will have to have it apart asap and look at the wiring, I presume a Tarr smoker would be a straight swap ?
I have good reason to remember getting my Chally back in Dec 2015 (shortly after they first became available). I broke and dislocated my ankle an hour after it arrived. Long story. When I finally got to unbox it, I was struck by the level of detail. It seemed a quantum leap forward (or clank) by Heng Long. Indeed, to this day, I think it's one of their best offerings- only lately eclipsed by the recent T90.
Tarr smokers come in three sizes and types, if I recall correctly, without checking. I managed to fit one with ease into my Cromwell model, and so it should be a doddle to find a safe (and practical) location for it with all that internal real estate in the Challenger.
As Rad suggests, do try cleaning the existing unit out first. Also,do try 'Mega Steam in it' before sending it to the scrapper. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Steelhammer
Lance Corporal

Post by Steelhammer »

Thank you - will do.
Tamiya King Tiger (no options)
Taigen Full Metal T34 (winter)
Heng Long Challenger II (European camo')
Tamiya Tiger I full options (still in the box)

Return to “Heng Long”