Heng long new 5.3 dual sound MFU

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Sub
Sergeant

Heng long new 5.3 dual sound MFU

Post by Sub »

Hi chaps.
A question for the learned ones amoung us regarding the latest 5.3 MFU dua? sound unit.
I have the previous version 2.4 the black transmitter with dummy buttons on the top and the four sound smoke cannon
Mg buttons on the front.
The question is will the latest dual sound mfu work with this transmitter .
As far as i know all the buttons are the same except the two top function buttons which are just duplicate functions of some of the front four.
Regards to all
Sub.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Heng long new 5.3 dual sound MFU

Post by Max-U52 »

This is a guess, but I don't think they'll be compatible. If no one else can answer this for sure I might be able to test it for you. I have a new version (dual sound) Sherman as well as the version before in an Abrams. I suppose the first thing to do would be to see if the previous version TX will bind to the new version Sherman, eh? I'm stalling to see if anyone else can answer this because the Abrams is still new in the box and I'm really lazy and don't want to have to unpack the TX. How sad is that? But don't worry, I'll pep up when spring gets here. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

https://heng-long-panzer.de/en/Heng-Lon ... -3082.html

The suggestion here, as Gary pointed out, is that they're not compatible.
This is a copy and paste from HLP.de:

"......Attention!
This board can only be connected with the on picture shown remote control, which is not included in the scope of supply.
This picture is only for clarification !!! You need the corresponding binding cable if not available! ......."
He's referring to the new dual sound board, and the latest TX with buttons and white frontage; the one you don't have.. :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Chaps
Many thx for the quick reply, i fear you may be correct , but without a diffinitive test of both as Max has kindly offered to do we are slightly still in the dark.
Max, if you could try it when you get the chance that would be awesome and we would all know the outcome of the test one way or the other.
I ask the question as they are being offered as an upgrade without the transmitter on a sales site.
Plus if it works then you get a better sounding tank.
Once again chaps many thx.
kind regards
Sub.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi Mick.
Many thx for that info, which sort of confirms what i found on a different site regarding using the MFU 4 gen as an upgrade.
With regards to the binding cable i have checked the 4 gen and 3 gen mfu,s and BOTH only have 2 blue wires going to the push button from the mfu so on the 3 gen it is only the 3 pin plastic plug that needs changing as it does not use the middle pin on the plastic plug just the 2 outer ones so in theory you couls just swop the 3 pin plug for any corresponding 2 pin plug and off you go.
Regarding the upper hull issue that probably just being the case of moving a few wires around.
I think we are getting somewhere here chaps.
Please keep the info coming as if this works we will be able to upgrade 3 gen tanks to 4 gen fairly easily.
Wibblywobbly has done an excellent job of identifying all the correct wire functions on a new T90 i would assume that all the new 4 gen MFU s are laid out this way.
Regards to all
Sub.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Sub wrote:Hi Mick.
Many thx for that info, which sort of confirms what i found on a different site regarding using the MFU 4 gen as an upgrade.
With regards to the binding cable i have checked the 4 gen and 3 gen mfu,s and BOTH only have 2 blue wires going to the push button from the mfu so on the 3 gen it is only the 3 pin plastic plug that needs changing as it does not use the middle pin on the plastic plug just the 2 outer ones so in theory you couls just swop the 3 pin plug for any corresponding 2 pin plug and off you go.
Regarding the upper hull issue that probably just being the case of moving a few wires around.
I think we are getting somewhere here chaps.
Please keep the info coming as if this works we will be able to upgrade 3 gen tanks to 4 gen fairly easily.
Wibblywobbly has done an excellent job of identifying all the correct wire functions on a new T90 i would assume that all the new 4 gen MFU s are laid out this way.
Regards to all
Sub.
The obvious problem is that the latest HL MFU/ TX version, offers a dual sound function; but in order to switch modes on the new (white faced) transmitters, you have to employ the silver buttons top right and top left.
The older 3/4. transmitter doesn't have, these buttons, and so even if it is possible to bind the so-called 5.3 version MFU (Licmas AKA HLP.de calls it v.4) to the older transmitter; you won't have all the functions available; so what would be the point of that? I suppose you could fit buttons, but would they work without the older unit being re-flashed? In fact, wouldn't it be simpler to buy the right TX?
Confusingly, with some vendors,' v.5.3' is referred to as V4...but if you follow Haya in the UK, there is no 'V4..he goes from 3- to 5.3. :/
https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/Heng_long_24G ... 11194.aspx
https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/heng_long_24G ... 25770.aspx
Then there's the issue of the internal wiring which has been discussed on several threads here before.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
From what i have seen on the use of the 4 gen (5.3) transmitter then what you have just said is in error that you have to use the top buttons on the 4 gen (5.3) tmitter to change sound.
All you have to do is press the cannon and the gun sound on the 4 buttons on the front and then the MFU changes over.
The top 2 buttons just duplicate some of the 4 front buttons plus a few other functions combined with stick movement for ergonomic hand movements.
If you check out youtube people show you changing sounds on the 4 gen (5.3) via the gun and cannon sounds being depressed simultaneously on the front of the transmitter.
Regards
Sub.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Sub wrote:Hi.
From what i have seen on the use of the 4 gen (5.3) transmitter then what you have just said is in error that you have to use the top buttons on the 4 gen (5.3) tmitter to change sound.
All you have to do is press the cannon and the gun sound on the 4 buttons on the front and then the MFU changes over.
The top 2 buttons just duplicate some of the 4 front buttons plus a few other functions combined with stick movement for ergonomic hand movements.
If you check out youtube people show you changing sounds on the 4 gen (5.3) via the gun and cannon sounds being depressed simultaneously on the front of the transmitter.
Regards
Sub.
Indeed, but I am referring to full functionality. You're not going to get that with the older transmitter. That was really my point. :think: In fact, there's no evidence yet that it will work at all.
Just so that others may get an idea of the differences, here's the latest transmitter and its functions:
Heng Long TX functions v.5.3
Heng Long TX functions v.5.3
Just as an oddment, here's the binding procedure for the HL t90:
HL T90 binding procedure
HL T90 binding procedure
Hope this all helps to resolve your issue... :wave:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Thx for that info, from the schematics above of the version 5.3 tmitter it appears exactly the same functionality as the earlier black 2.4 ghz set except for the 2 top buttons.
But as you say means nowt if it wont bind we shall have to wait and see .
2.4ghz_tx_3.jpg
2.4ghz_tx_3.jpg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Sub wrote:Hi.
Thx for that info, from the schematics above of the version 5.3 tmitter it appears exactly the same functionality as the earlier black 2.4 ghz set except for the 2 top buttons.
But as you say means nowt if it wont bind we shall have to wait and see .
2.4ghz_tx_3.jpg
Yes. Ignoring the obvious revised arrangement of functions (ie: two additional top buttons), the two bottom buttons of the quartet on the latest TX's main panel, also now have extra functions, with possible extra trace pathways on the PCB. I can only imagine that those functions will not be transferrable to the earlier iteration of the TX (3/4), simply because the new instructions were not flashed on them in the first place, and the extra traces are probably absent from the PCB of older transmitters.
I guess that HL, Taigen, et al would prefer people to buy an entire upgrade package of MFU and TX, and not upgrade piecemeal. Major electronics and computer producers like us to be trapped on the upgrade treadmill, by fair means or foul. 'Foul' comes when backwards compatibility is not guaranteed, or as with new smart phone features, for example, that can only be enabled on the latest hardware version of the phone. Maybe MFUs are heading that way.. :think:

Return to “Heng Long”