Voltage To Main Gun (Airsoft)???

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Dubar
Recruit

Voltage To Main Gun (Airsoft)???

Post by Dubar »

What voltage does the small black cased motor need to operate:
Airsoft motor voltage.jpg
Airsoft motor voltage.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
Any idea what pins would supply the voltage on a Rev5.3 receiver?

I'm upgrading an older 27Mhz MKIV F2. Everything's working now except the actual shooting of the BBs, even get that (blasted) chassis recoil effect :eh:

I've got the motor leads going to the pins (Trigger Line) as shown in this photo (found online):
HENGLONG-1-16-RC-tank-spare-parts-No-2-4G-Receiver-5-3-version-from-2017.jpg
HENGLONG-1-16-RC-tank-spare-parts-No-2-4G-Receiver-5-3-version-from-2017.jpg (99.75 KiB) Viewed 4508 times
But that isn't working.
C.Ellis
Private

Re: Voltage To Main Gun (Airsoft)???

Post by C.Ellis »

What have you got plugged into the 8 pin connector board on the hull ceiling.
The one in my tiger looks like this.

The blue and red wires on the left , and the black and red wires coming from the plug on the right connect to the motor on the bb unit. The wire coming from the back of the bb unit plug into the trigger line port on the main controll board.

I hope this helps, but if you need more clarification just ask.
Dubar
Recruit

Post by Dubar »

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I'm trying to blend an old school system with the latest and greatest :O

The old 27Mhz panzer had this connector on the inside of the hull:
27mhz turret connector.jpg
27mhz turret connector.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
The 3-wire plug was to the turret, one of those wires has to be the common for both turret elevation and shooting of the airsoft gun.

The gun does elevate, but it's the old method where the gun cycles up/down, you have to hold the joystick down and let it cycle to where you want the elevation to be. I'm getting the up/down movement, just can't shoot.

The way I have it currently wired the elevation is totally separate from firing the gun, maybe I need to reconnect whichever wire that was common on the old setup to both functions(?), but I don't know which wire it is.

When I push the joystick upward, I get gun sound and chassis recoil, but no actual firing of the gun.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Elevation and Airsoft have a common positive and separate negative wires. Backwards from the usual, but that's the way it is. If you haven't got it sorted out by the time I get home from work, in about six hours, I have a diagram that shows you what each pin does. You can also find it by checking the diagram for the IBU2. They list what every pin on the 8-pin is for.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Dubar
Recruit

Post by Dubar »

I think this may be my issue.

Here's the diagram of the 8-pin plug going from the receiver to the turret:
8-pin connector 9-27-17.jpg
8-pin connector 9-27-17.jpg (24.15 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
As you can see, there's nothing currently going to the yellow pin. I currently have the 2 wires coming from the gun motor going to the Trigger Line on the receiver.

I'm almost positive I should have something going to the yellow pin, maybe jumper to one of the motor wires???
Dubar
Recruit

Post by Dubar »

Thanks Max-U52.

I try not to reference wire colors, because I've seen a lot of diagrams online that don't follow a pattern. Pin to pin is best but sometimes colors do help.

The 8-pin plug in the diagram above was connected to the 8-pin hull connector in other post above, the other ends of the wires were soldered to the old 27Mhz main board.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The new 5.3 setup with the much vaunted ' 2 sounds', requires this connector:
New Heng Long 8/9 pin connector
New Heng Long 8/9 pin connector
This separates all the main turret functions out, so that elevation is now independent of airsoft (and vice versa). In this arrangement, the signal path for the Gun to fire BBs runs through the 8 pin section of the connector block. On some models, the three 3-pin connector socket for the gun was on the same little PCB as the 8-pin socket. With the new configuration, it isn't. The trick is to trace all the three wires on the gun from point (Gun motor) to point (MFU). Having not seen the wiring arrangement on the T90 and other models using the 5.3 setup, it's hard to say how they connect the gun up. Clearly, there's no three pin connector from the Gun motor..as there's no provision for it on the connector block. I imagine then that the wires must be soldered to the back of the 8-pin terminal, or there's an extra electronic union somewhere. In any event, all you have to do is find a way for the gun to connect the the MFU. The two wire trigger switch only initiates the sound of the gun and the track recoil, and connects as per your diagram directly to the MFU- so ignore that; the airsoft motor, however, is also connected to an on/off switch in the Turret- for safety reasons. There's a modification described by Erik at 'Taigentanks' (Youtube), whereby elevation and airsoft are separated for use with the Clark Tk22 board. This is similar to the method used in Heng Long's upgrade, and circumvents the annoying cycling of the gun elevation. There's no real need for the switch, but if it's OFF your airsoft is not going to fire.... :problem: Have you checked?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

..You could perhaps read up on T90 wiring issues, as they are relevant to your problem, even though you have a Pz IV.. follow this thread :thumbup: :
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=21260&p=222115&hi ... .3#p222115
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Dubar
Recruit

Post by Dubar »

43rdRecceReg wrote:..You could perhaps read up on T90 wiring issues, as they are relevant to your problem, even though you have a Pz IV.. follow this thread :thumbup: :
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=21260&p=222115&hi ... .3#p222115
Thanks!
There's no real need for the switch, but if it's OFF your airsoft is not going to fire.... :problem: Have you checked?
I checked that this morning and actually took it out of the circuit (you're right, don't need it).

I'll look at the T-90 thread and absorb what you wrote, sounds like the open pin (yellow wire) is where the signal to fire comes from, but I need to trace it out.
Dubar
Recruit

Post by Dubar »

I opened the MKIV again this morning and took some readings. For those interested I made a couple of charts. Remember I'm using the 8-pin harness from the old 27Mhz unit. These readings are for turret voltages only.

First chart shows what voltages I read with power on and no movement of controls. I "assumed" the orange wire (look at the image in my last post) was pin #1:
VOLTAGE WITH POWER ON AND NO MOVEMENT OF CONTROLS reduced.jpg
VOLTAGE WITH POWER ON AND NO MOVEMENT OF CONTROLS reduced.jpg (27.48 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Next I took readings from each wire to all the other wires going to the turret, while moving each turret control (3 sheets are attached):
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 1 reduced.jpg
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 1 reduced.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 2 reduced.jpg
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 2 reduced.jpg (63.54 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 3 reduced.jpg
VOLTAGE WHEN CONTROLS ARE MOVED PAGE 3 reduced.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 4435 times
Looking at the 8-pin chart from my previous post, I used orange and white to provide current to turret elevation. The chart "Voltages When Controls Are Moved" shows 7.3v when both these wires are used.

Looking at the 8-pin chart, I used green and brown to provide current to turret traverse. The chart shows 7.3v when both these wires are used.

Looking at the 8-pin chart, I used blue and black to provide current to the front hull LEDs. The chart shows 8v or so when both these wires are used. Surprised it's that high (maybe that's why they're so bright :haha: ) because usually they only need 3.5v (I checked this with a battery I have).

Again, all functions seem to work, except the actual firing of the gun. From the charts, the only wire combination I see that will fire the gun like it's suppose to is if I connect the blue wire and the yellow wire (from the 8-pin connector) to the airsoft motor. Voltage remains 0 unless I move the elevation up and press the fire button, then it goes to 8v.

Take a look and let me know if I'm seeing things or if any of this makes sense.

Return to “Heng Long”