Why did my 6.1S board just burn up?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Why did my 6.1S board just burn up?

Post by Shagnifico »

I am hoping someone can tell me why this happened. I was testing a heng long smoke unit fan. The only things connected to the board was the battery and the smoker fan in cn12. It worked a couple times then it stopped working and then I saw an orange glow accompanied by smoke emanating from the board. What did I do wrong?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Why did my 6.1S board just burn up?

Post by Jimster »

I’m no electronics wizard but sounds like something was shorting somewhere. Just a wild guess. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Shagnifico
Lance Corporal

Post by Shagnifico »

I think a bench top power supply to test components before connecting them to the MFU would be a worthwhile investment at this point.
Andy427sc
Recruit

Post by Andy427sc »

Ouch....

That shouldn’t have happened ...

It amazes me that with all these electronics, there is little or no circuit protection provided even though the boards are connected to a power supply capable of delivering large currents...

It sounds like an investment in quick blow glass fuses in line with each of the output devices including each f the main drive motors each or an appropriate rating mounted on some form of board with jumper cables might be worthwhile unless they are already commercially available. It’s crazy to burn out an expensive controlled because of a fault in a $10 smoke unit or worse a $5 turret traverse motor?
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Andy427sc wrote:Ouch....

It amazes me that with all these electronics, there is little or no circuit protection provided even though the boards are connected to a power supply capable of delivering large currents...

It sounds like an investment in quick blow glass fuses in line with each of the output devices including each f the main drive motors each or an appropriate rating mounted on some form of board with jumper cables might be worthwhile unless they are already commercially available. It’s crazy to burn out an expensive controlled because of a fault in a $10 smoke unit or worse a $5 turret traverse motor?
It amazes me too! In heng long stuff, then, well, OK... But in german electronics (200-300 eur) is a crime!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :'(

which can be translated by Murphy's law 8O
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loi_de_Murphy

Return to “Heng Long”