2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S gold label receivers?

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!

Postby Jim Reeves » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm

The last two Henglong tanks I've received with the latest 2.4gHz, gold label version 5.3S receiver boards have gone rogue. For no apparent reason, I turned on the tanks this week and the right stick control on the transmitter has switched itself from up/down = forward/backwards, to up/down = turn left/right. Forwards/backwards now requires left/right on the right stick.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've made no changes to either tank and a close inspection of the receiver boards shows no bad solder joints or loose wire connections.
All of my other tanks have the 2.4gHz silver label 5.3 receiver boards and have been very reliable. I'm mystified! :crazy:

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:55 pm

That really is weird, have you checked the transmitters?
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jim Reeves » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Yes, even binding with a known good 5.3 Tx still causes the problem, when used with these two receivers. I can't see any difference between the TX that was supplied with the 5.3 silver receivers than the TX supplied with the gold receivers. No cracked traces on the receiver boards and all the solder points look clean.

I'm wondering if there's a flaw in the design, which is why I've asked for other possible examples of this. Both gold labeled receivers do everything else as they should. I guess I'll have to get used to driving them sideways!

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

That's truly mysterious. 8O
If there are no problems with the traces, a bulging capacitor might cause anomalous behaviour; but not on two units. Years ago, bad caps were a real pain on lots of laptop brands.
It almost sounds as if the firmware has been corrupted, somehow. Too near some electromagnets? :wtf:
You've not has a visit from some extra-terrestrials, have you? It's that odd.
I would have suggested re-binding the boards, but clearly, you've already done that and more. :problem:
I once had a problem with functions being re-assigned, when I didn't follow usual start-up procedure, and when the battery wasn't fully charged. That was on a Heng Long Tiger 1.
Rebinding sorted it out.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Jim Reeves » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 am

Well, I've ordered two new receivers and asked the ebay seller to be sure that they are 5.3 (non S) silver label boards. We'll see how that turns out! Let this serve as a warning for others.
What I still don't understand is just what the difference is with these two generations of receivers, all of the functions available to the operation of the tanks is the same??? ???

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby 43rdRecceReg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Jim Reeves wrote:Well, I've ordered two new receivers and asked the ebay seller to be sure that they are 5.3 (non S) silver label boards. We'll see how that turns out! Let this serve as a warning for others.
What I still don't understand is just what the difference is with these two generations of receivers, all of the functions available to the operation of the tanks is the same??? ???

Not only is the switch in function baffling, Jim, but the version numbering system HL uses even more so. :crazy: If the 5.3s revision is the latest they have to offer, why is the New leopard touted as having version
Tk 6.0, when Heng Long Panzer in Germany describe as v 6.0, generation '4'. :think: I guess the MFU is supposed to be the 6th revision, while the transmitter is the 4th version. But clear answers are not easy to come by.
Elsewhere, I've even seen the latest MFu listed as v.7 on Ebay. 8O
The version in the latest Leo 2A6 is meant to offer wifi, camera among other features including- it would appear, the possibility of adding an IR receiver to the BB setup. Now, that really would be a significant difference.
It's also a guess, but with these extra features (irrespective of the observable PCB revision number) it might be that some boards are not now compatible with Transmitters ostensibly in the '5' (or is it 6. or 7?)
series.
43rdRecceReg
Lieutenant

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Isn't it possible to change the wiring around in the transmitter on the right stick?

I know you shouldn't have to, but surely it would be a fix?
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jim Reeves » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 pm

Son of a gun-ner wrote:Isn't it possible to change the wiring around in the transmitter on the right stick?

I know you shouldn't have to, but surely it would be a fix?

I looked, and the sticks are surface mounted to a single circuit board, so no go. My desoldering skills and equipment are lacking! I remember the old Futaba Tx's were wired as you suggest and was hoping for that sort of work-around.

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Oh, that's a shame.
I haven't looked inside one yet, so didn't realise.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jim Reeves » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Not only is the switch in function baffling, Jim, but the version numbering system HL uses even more so. :crazy: If the 5.3s revision is the latest they have to offer, why is the New leopard touted as having version
Tk 6.0, when Heng Long Panzer in Germany describe as v 6.0, generation '4'. :think: I guess the MFU is supposed to be the 6th revision, while the transmitter is the 4th version. But clear answers are not easy to come by.
Elsewhere, I've even seen the latest MFu listed as v.7 on Ebay. 8O
The version in the latest Leo 2A6 is meant to offer wifi, camera among other features including- it would appear, the possibility of adding an IR receiver to the BB setup. Now, that really would be a significant difference.
It's also a guess, but with these extra features (irrespective of the observable PCB revision number) it might be that some boards are not now compatible with Transmitters ostensibly in the '5' (or is it 6. or 7?)
series.

I noticed the TK 6.0 while shopping. The Tx does appear the same, but who knows what may have changed internally. There's nothing with 6.0 that appeals to me (not looking to make a drone tank!), but it may offer a "all in one" solution for others. The new motor connections look to possibly offer higher amp loads than the 5.3, so perhaps the esc's have been beefed up? Makes one wonder anyway.

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby Son of a gun-ner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Yeah, I'm going to wait till the new 6.0 is in a tank that I'd prefer to purchase, I don't need another leopard.
Son of a gun-ner
TOTM Admin

Postby Jim Reeves » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:40 pm

So, after a two week wait for new receivers from a chinese vendor on ebay, who assured me they were sending 5.3 silver label units (as pictured in their listing) I received gold label receivers! The vendor apologized and offered a 20% discount. I have no need for their discount!

Looks like I'm in the market for at least one 5.3 silver label receiver, again! Anyone want to swap for a brand new gold label receiver???

Jim Reeves
Recruit

Postby teddyt » Thu May 02, 2019 9:15 pm

I have just Installed a gold one on a tiger1 and have the same issues!!!! 8O Are they all like this

teddyt
Lance Corporal

Postby AshMann » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:43 pm

teddyt wrote:I have just Installed a gold one on a tiger1 and have the same issues!!!! 8O Are they all like this

No actually, i have those gold 5.3s in my tiger and my Pz 3. The tiger is an older 27Mhz tank converted to the newer electronics. The Pz3 came with the gold 5.3 board installed. Both run fine.
AshMann
Corporal

Postby RenoirLV » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Anyone can tell how silver label differs from gold label? I received my gold label today. I was hoping silently the gold label offers better handling at low speeds ad the silver one lacks in this department.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby AshMann » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:46 pm

RenoirLV wrote:Anyone can tell how silver label differs from gold label? I received my gold label today. I was hoping silently the gold label offers better handling at low speeds ad the silver one lacks in this department.

Sound quality is slightly better. Everything else is the same
AshMann
Corporal

Postby RenoirLV » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I'm happy to report that the new 5.3 gold label does indeed offer better handling at low speeds. Compared to the 5.3 silver label. At least this was my case. The other things are the same.
The usual problem with the drive stick was there too. It was going forward when the stick was pushed left. Awfully inconvenient. There was somebody here on the forum who mentioned it earlier. It is fixed by changing motor polarity. Not sure which way but try swapping connector pins around. It may even be the case that one is one way and the other is opposite. Anyway it works correctly after some attempts.

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby Lew_Zee » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 am

I too have the same problem with my H.L. T-26 Pershing. Apparently I got a short in the binding switch wire when it was caught putting the tank top to bottom. So, at a tank meet it became permanently bounded to another's transmitter. I ordered a complete transmitter and receiver set and it came in with the gold label on the receiver. Like you guys, the steering was off 90 degrees as well as being mirrored when using the transmitter joystick. Even the seller in China was baffled when I sent him a video and he could not get in contact with Heng Long.

In searching the problem on the net, I was able to put together that the 2.4 mhz version 5.3 is only identified by the silver label. For some reason H.L changed the circuit when they came out with the "improved" version 5.3(S) receiver with a gold label. (Using "S" for the gold label, now that is brilliant!)

I can't seem to get anyone to send me a transmitter and receiver with the silver label, despite that is what is pictured on sellers pages in many instances. So I popped of the back of the transmitter and pulled out the printed circuit board. There is not enough space to move the board back and turn the gimbals 90 degrees. The gimbals are soldered to the circuit board (as just about everything else) and the board is mounted to the front of the transmitter case. So even if there was enough space behind the board nothing would mount right.

Strangely enough I reversed the plugs from the receiver to the motors (left to right and right to left) and only the forward and reverse directions with the joystick swapped but the left and right turns remained the same. I'm thinking of reversing the red and black wires on one of the motors to see if that works. Doing both doesn't look like it would work although I have not tried that.

Anyone come up with a solution?

Lew_Zee
Recruit

Postby RenoirLV » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:38 am

Try the wire swap. I mean the plus and minus on one of the motors. Should work.

RenoirLV
Lance Corporal

Postby Jofaur86 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 am

Hello,
https://www.ozarmour.com.au/store/blog/ ... trics.html
If the lotors do not turn in the same direction?it is actually reversed the son, plus / minus with the if cinnected right / left on the turntable to turn,hoping to help

Jofaur86
Lance Corporal

Next

Return to Heng Long