First Interior Look into HL Tiger I tank, need some help!

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Tiger111
Private

First Interior Look into HL Tiger I tank, need some help!

Post by Tiger111 »

Dear fellow members of the forum,
Yesterday I was taking a first in depth look into my fairly new Heng Long Tiger I that I bought online. I planned to open it up, check over all its parts, see what is has or is missing, etc. Also, I planned to refill the smoke unit that had run out over a two month or so runtime and use period. I have to just say, at first I was pretty confident in what the interior would look like, however after actually raising the upper hull; it was very different than what I expected. I was wondering if someone could identify these parts in the photos below. Also, if you could explain to me how I should fill its strange smoke unit. Thanks!

Above is the overview of the lower hull (is that what its' called)'s interior electronics. I should also mention when I first tried to find a way to open it, the upper and lower hull were screwed together from the BOTTOM (inconvenient) and this makes screwing it back together a chore.

Here are the standard plastic gearboxes, nothing too fancy. I was wondering though if they would be installed the same way that Taigen gearboxes are installed. I plan purchasing some new V2 Ball bearing steel gearboxes from them.

And here is the very strange smoker machine, which seems to have no way of filling it. When I looked into the Owner's Manual (which needs much better English translations) All it had was a diagram of the outside of tank's faux exhaust and one of the tubes the smoke comes OUT of being marked "The hole of adding".

Above is the rotation of the turret assembly (I think that is what it is called) and I must say, it sounds REALLY loud when the tank is actually ON and it is spinning its turret, not at all quiet turning (besides the sound effect) I've heard/seen on other tanks. Could it be broken?

Here are some more closeup photos of the turret assembly. At the very bottom can you notice an empty port? I was wondering what that is intended for.

Here is the speaker; which I was wondering if it would be louder (or better quality audio) if I purchased a Taigen standard speaker for my tank.

And finally; this is my tanks' motherboard. It seems to be a similar setup to Taigens' setup for their motherboards; however I was wondering the names of different ports displayed; and if any empty ports are significant or not.

Thank you for all your time and patience in reading all of the many, MANY questions I have about my new tank. Please reply any answers you have to any of these questions below. Thank You!!!!
Them: WHY do you like tanks so much?
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
Them: O_O
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: First Interior Look into HL Tiger I tank, need some help

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Quick answer to one question. The smoker - "the hole for adding is just that". Stand the tank on its nose and add the smoke oil through the outlet pipe! Be careful not to overfill it - if you do you will get oil everywhere inside AND the smoker won't work. The smoker looks odd as it has two pistons so instead of a steady stream of smoke, you get it in pulses (an attempt at realism). Welcome to the world of Chinglish manuals.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Tiger111
Private

Post by Tiger111 »

Thank you so much! Now I can refill my smoker without a problem!
Me: Well, let's see.... It's an all terrain machine of steel with a GUN mounted to the top. The REAL question SHOULD be, why WOULDN'T I like tanks "so much"..... 8)
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Tiger111,

In terms of replacing gearbox, just make sure you buy a Taigen one that will fit the Tiger, because of two things: 1. The length of the drive shaft, and the height of the gearbox itself. The Heng Long turret rotation unit is known to be quite noisy so that's probably normal unless the turret is actually "slipping" (i.e. the clutch is kicking in on the rotation unit). That would only happen if the rotation unit is turning but the turret itself is jammed and not moving. As to the empty plug on the patch board, it is not empty, the wiring just got soldered in at the bottom. The plug would have been for the hull light and the hull MG which looks like is wired up directly on the bottom. Speaker can easily be upgraded to the Taigen one with no issues. Finally the Taigen replacement is plug compatible and should be able to plug and play with your existing Heng Long tanks. As to the empty spots on the MFU, it is all related to the IR battle system which you are not using (BB only).

Hope that helps. You should also be able to find a RX-18 wiring diagram online or somewhere on the forum and trace the wires to all the different parts.

MichaelC.
Tiger111
Private

Post by Tiger111 »

MichaelC wrote:Tiger111,

In terms of replacing gearbox, just make sure you buy a Taigen one that will fit the Tiger, because of two things: 1. The length of the drive shaft, and the height of the gearbox itself. The Heng Long turret rotation unit is known to be quite noisy so that's probably normal unless the turret is actually "slipping" (i.e. the clutch is kicking in on the rotation unit). That would only happen if the rotation unit is turning but the turret itself is jammed and not moving. As to the empty plug on the patch board, it is not empty, the wiring just got soldered in at the bottom. The plug would have been for the hull light and the hull MG which looks like is wired up directly on the bottom. Speaker can easily be upgraded to the Taigen one with no issues. Finally the Taigen replacement is plug compatible and should be able to plug and play with your existing Heng Long tanks. As to the empty spots on the MFU, it is all related to the IR battle system which you are not using (BB only).

Hope that helps. You should also be able to find a RX-18 wiring diagram online or somewhere on the forum and trace the wires to all the different parts.

MichaelC.
Thank you so much Michael! This information is really helpful!

Return to “Heng Long”