from Taigen V3 to Elmod Fusion PRO rev F

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
Jussek
Sergeant

from Taigen V3 to Elmod Fusion PRO rev F

Post by Jussek »

heya guys

I need help

I'm stuck installing an elmod pro F on a Taigen sherman, which carried the v3 electronics

For the record, I am following the manual, but there is something that I just did not do well. According to the manual, only with the 8-wire harness that joins the elmod with the upper hull, the functions of the tower should already be solved

extract form the elmod manual follows

Turret and weapon functions
The ElMod Fusion provides a HengLong® compatible 8-pin turret terminal (connector 1). It is used by the
turret rotation motor, gun elevation motor, main gun trigger motor, front lighting and muzzle flash of the
main MG.
• the Taigen® barrel recoil mechanic may be connected according as follows
• the basic function of the recoil is already given if only the 8-pin turret connector is attached and the
parameter "Recoil type" in the ElMod App (located in the tab "Weapons") is set to "Standard", which
is the factory setting

I?have the standard recoil assigned in the elmod app, but it do not works

Also, as much as I look, I can't see what this paragraph refers to:

• the orange white cable (end position switch of the shot mechanics) which comes from the turret
should be attached to connector 12 of the ElMod Fusion. The orange wire faces the edge of the
board (marked with an "O"

As for the xenon flash, I understand that I have it well connected, but it does not work either

• the Taigen® xenon flash and the HengLong® muzzle flash LED are equipped with a 5 pin plug and may be attached to connector 2.

In this photo of the original electronics, you can see a blue cable, which right now I do not have connected to any place, in some forum I have read that it has to be connected to the negative of the battery

I'm sure there are some of you here who have done it ... Can you give an example? I do not see an easy way to do it and that can be disconnected quickly to separate the upper hull

I have the rest of the connections of the upper hull and the tower like this

any advice will be very appreciated!

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
john1970
Corporal

Re: from Taigen V3 to Elmod Fusion PRO rev F

Post by john1970 »

If its using a taigen recoil and 360 slip ring then thats the 2nd earth for the recoil motor but check in the turret where the other end of that wire goes it should connect to a red or black wire that goes to a micro switch on the side of the rocoil unit witha yellow wire connected to the other terminal on the microswitch.
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

john1970 wrote:If its using a taigen recoil and 360 slip ring then thats the 2nd earth for the recoil motor but check in the turret where the other end of that wire goes it should connect to a red or black wire that goes to a micro switch on the side of the rocoil unit witha yellow wire connected to the other terminal on the microswitch.

hello

yes John, this tanks uses a taigen recoil and 360 slip ring. The blue wire i was talking about, is connected in the way you said

I seel all well connected on the turret side

in fact, the recoil and xenon flash worked perfectly with the taigen electronics. My question is how I have to connect it in the elmod, I have followed the manual, but I am still wondering what to do with the blue cable. From what I have read, it must be connected to the negative of the battery, after the main switch, and yet i have to identify this orange cable:

the orange white cable (end position switch of the shot mechanics) which comes from the turret
should be attached to connector 12 of the ElMod Fusion. The orange wire faces the edge of the
board (marked with an "O
"

It is the reason why I asked for help from any member of the forum who has been able to migrate from a taigen v3 to an elmod

i'm lost in this step... :crazy:

best regards
Jussek

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-RC-Reus-Secci%C3%B3-de-Modelisme-Militar-Radiocontrolat-PzGr-Tarraco/639220812799552
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The blue wire connects to negative on the battery. the orange and white wire you mention in the instructions is under setting airsoft but your not using airsoft ?

Setting “Airsoft” is suitable for the firing mechanism for plastic balls. The shot sound is
played at the same time as the ball is fired. For this purpose, one more cable must be
connected in addition to the 8-wire turret cable and the ground wire: the white-orange cable
from the switch for the position of the shooting mechanism has to be attached to connector
12. The orange wire points to the edge of the board (mark "O" at the bottom of the board).

To me the instructions are saying you need to connect the orange and white wires so that there is a delay for the firing sound so the bb and shot sound are at the same time when the bb gun is wound up it hits the microswitch on the back of it which signals the board to activate the shot sound. your not using bb gun
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

thanks for the reply mate

hmmmm... in 'my' manual it not say anything about BB in this paragraph (or I misinterpret it... lost in translation??)

this is the whole paragraph

Turret and weapon functions
The ElMod Fusion provides a HengLong® compatible 8-pin turret terminal (connector 1). It is used by the
turret rotation motor, gun elevation motor, main gun trigger motor, front lighting and muzzle flash of the
main MG.
• an optional adapter allows the use of a Tamiya® turret. The functions turret rotation, main gun
elevation and also main lighting and muzzle flash of the main MG are supported
• the Taigen® barrel recoil mechanic may be connected according as follows
• the basic function of the recoil is already given if only the 8-pin turret connector is attached and the
parameter "Recoil type" in the ElMod App (located in the tab "Weapons") is set to "Standard", which
is the factory setting
• the orange white cable (end position switch of the shot mechanics) which comes from the turret
board (marked with an "O")
• if your tank features the Taigen® / HengLong® servo recoil, attach the thin black red cable (power
supply of the servo PCB) with the connector 11 of the ElMod Fusion. The red wire faces the "+"
marking, the black cable faces the "-" marking.
• to activate the shot/recoil function, set the parameter "Recoil type" in the ElMod App to "HL/Taigen".
• the Tamiya® barrel recoil mechanic may be attached directly to the connector 4 of the ElMod Fusion.
The white wire of the plug points to the mark left of the connector.
• the Taigen® xenon flash and the HengLong® muzzle flash LED are equipped with a 5 pin plug and may be attached to connector 2.
The Tamiya® xenon flash is not supported.

i've done some tests:

i've connected an external xenon flash to the port 2 of the elmod, and it works
I have removed the IR harness as I don't need these wires, from the daugther board on the turret
I have disconnected the cables of the xenon flash from the taigen elevation and recoil mechanism, and I have connected them directly to port 2 of the elmod, and they work

the only thing that doesn't work is the recoil (and the flash when connected to the recoil unit)

then, how do i do this?

The blue wire connects to negative on the battery

I have tried holding the blue wire by hand (with an insulator) over the negative terminal of the main switch , with no luck...
Jussek

john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

check your wiring on the recoil unit is there an on/off switch in the turret are those wire still attach as they can come off very easily
scrub that just saw the pic in your other post you have a blue wire joining both motors instead going via the switch
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

read post below 1st

How the recoil unit works on the taigen board is that when you trigger the gun the board provides a short earth signal the live signal is constant. The short earth signal allows the gun to recoil and trigger the microswitch with the yellow wire and black wire on its terminals the black wire connects to the blue wire in the 360 slip ring this then provides the earth signal to return the gun to the firing position and turns off the microswitch. even with out the blue wire connected your gun should recoil it just wont return. Thats if its not in the recoil position already.
Try wiring it without the slip ring see if that makes a difference
Last edited by john1970 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

The xenon flash isnt working via the slip because you dont have all of its wires connected if you count the wires going into the turret connector its 13 the amount of wire coming out are 11 so the 2 five pin plugs share some wires i dont know if the taigen slip ring is compatible with the elmod board as the green wire in connector 2 is connected to not used according to the Pin assignment in the manual for Muzzle flash (connector 2)

going by your picture your missing the power supply negative for the flash so it wont work if you look at the 5 pin plug of the flash unit it has 5 wires 3 for the flash 2 for the microswitch you only have 2 connected so its not that the flash isnt working via the recoil unit its not working via the slipring as it doesnt have all its wires connected disconnect the wires in the turret from the daughter board and plug them into the board
its late im tired i might have repeated myself a few times
Jussek
Sergeant

Post by Jussek »

hi again

all sorted out!

after reading your comments John, i wrote to Dominique at rctank.de, Who did I buy the tank and the elmod from, and quicly gave me the trick:

the issue with the blue wire not working when connected to the negative, was that for some reason the recoil mechanism was stuck, i tried mo move it gently by hand and suddenly it was unlocked. I connected this blue wire to the negative in the elmod

For the flash unit. You could see in the 5 pin plug from the IR system a grey cable (in the middle of the plug), well, Dominique told me to move this wire to the other 5 pin plug (from the flash unit), also in the middle. Then the flash is working through the slip ring.

a general view of the wiring

and the final layout of the internals in the lower hull

If I'm honest I wasn't too worried that it wouldn't work, I don't like the taigen recoil system, and I'll change everything for two servos shortly, but of course, if it had worked with the taigen electronics, it had to work with the elmod...

many thanks for the help guys!
Jussek

Return to “El-Mod”