Electronics questions

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
Nigel.L
Recruit

Electronics questions

Post by Nigel.L »

Hello everyone,
My first serious question.
After buying some RTR tanks have decided to have a go a building a Stug iii from parts.Got most of them from Dave(Forgebear).
What a helpful bloke.Just waiting for the upper hull to arrive.

Trying to decide what board, Tx/Rx to buy,after looking through the various topics on the forum the current runners are a Frsky Taranis QX7 Access tx with a compatible receiver. The board being an Elmod Fusion pro.

Can anyone recommend a good UK supplier for the TX/RX.does this have to be a tx specifically for Tanks or will any type be ok.
The Board I can purchase directly form Elmod.

Many Thanks in advance
Nigel
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Electronics questions

Post by Jimster »

Excellent choices! :clap:
I believe Elmod is definitely the most awesome board. I really do like my QX7 for my Kubelwagen but my Radiomaster TX16S is my favorite for tanks. Check them out as well. More comfortable to hold, has two sliders and a better screen and you can recharge the radio without removing the batteries and you can use almost any brand of receiver.
Just had to throw my opinion out there.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hi Nigel,

I have to agree with Jimster. I have a Taigen Tiger 1, mid version, all metal, Airsoft unit with recoil. I absolutely love the Elmod Fusion Pro board. If you want great sounds and realistic movements you can't beat them. I got mine from Dom at rctank.de .

I can't say where to find the FrSky products over by you. I'm in the States and went with the FrSky QX7S, a special edition that came with hall gimbals, a case, and the ability to charge the battery while still in the radio ( I may have had to buy a special patch cord for my charger though). I also went with a FrSky X8R receiver. I think it's primarily used for RC planes, but the guys at Aloft Hobbies in California knew what I was doing and suggested this receiver. It works suberbly.

I'm an electronics idiot, and did run into some issues setting up the transmitter. There is a fairly steep learning curve to it, but through the guy's here on the forum I got it figured out. The Elmod set up was simple, until I started messing with the user sounds. This is one of the most awesome features of the board, but confused the heck out of me. Once again, the guys on here stepped in to rescue me! Still not sure how it all came together, but it did. Not sure I could do it again without the same issues, but there is lots of help available.

Aloft Hobbies has a very nice website that gives tons of info on FrSky products. Videos and their take on the products does help one to narrow the choices down. They may also be able to point to a dealer in the U.K. I also think that the latest QX7S is upgraded to be able to link to your computer wirelessly. Check out their website, it may help a bit.

Regard,
Eric.
Last edited by EAO on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

One more thing. Aloft Hobbies also has a wire bound user's manual. It's tech heavy, but makes things much clearer than the sparse original owner's manual. Might be worth looking for over by you.

Cheers,
Eric.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Nigel.L
Recruit

Post by Nigel.L »

Dear Jimster,Eric,
Thank you both for your advice ,really helps me make the decision on what to buy..
There are a lot of Youtube videos on how to set up radios so I'll get studying those to get an insight in what to do.
Just got to obtain the kit now.

All the best
Nigel

Return to “El-Mod”