Elmod board help.

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Elmod board help.

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Afternoon all,

I have an m16 torro halftrack with the first gen elmod board fitted. Now the problem I have is that while everything works fine ( movements, sounds etc ) the halftrack does not to seem to have any power or speed and struggles to pull itself along and it won't even look at a bump in the carpet :eh: I contacted Thomas at elmod to ask if it would be ok to use a 3s lipo battery with the board as I couldn't find any info online regarding the first gen version board only the newer 2.4ghz version, he replied that it was ok but I had to use a low voltage alarm with the battery as the older board does not have a built in voltage detector. Now that is fine, so I bought a suitable 3s lipo and while the power and speed has diffinatly improved after a couple of seconds of use the sounds distort and the speaker goes to half volume, this only happens with the 3s and not with a 2s or nihm battery :/ i have another torro halftrack which is standard and the power and speed of that is good while using normal batteries, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Elmod board help.

Post by Tiger6 »

Have you changed the original speaker for a better one? The stock speaker burns out quickly, and I seem to recall that had some knock on effects on the behaviour of the board?

The next thing to look at would be the throttle settings, I also had to tweak mine to get to an acceptable response - you'll need the programming USB widget to have a fiddle with that tho. Fitting a bigger battery won't help, the El-Mod boards are sometimes too clever for their own good, and use a pre-programmed acceleration curve instead of a linear response to throttle inputs. You need to tweak this to improve the response.

Also I think I had to fiddle with the gear change points as well - seemingly being unable to "get out of first gear" as far as the software was concerned was another problem I can recall :crazy:

Board works well, once you have spent a few days banging your head against a brick wall fighting it 8O :thumbup:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you Martin, you may have hit on the problem, what you described sounds like what is happening to mine, I will try another speaker also but I'm not sure on this one as it works fine with the 2s ( although a little quiet for my liking ) and only distorts while using the 3s.I have the programming cable but have never used it, I assume you put the sd card into a card reader and go from there ? :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

no you need to plug the board into the USB device, and then the device into the PC - can't remember if it needs to be powered or not, been nearly 8 years since I set mine up.
The SD card only handles the sounds, the software set up is done between the configuration software on your PC and the board itself
Last edited by Tiger6 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the help Martin, the fun of after market boards huh :/ :D I'll have a look and see if I can figure it out :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

<double post>
Last edited by Tiger6 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

At least they now supply the USB programming interface with the board - that used to be supplied separately :O
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

I think I have it anyway, there's some cable in the tin ??? :haha: does the software need to be downloaded Martin ? that may be a problem for me if it does as my laptop is not connected to the internet, I use my mobile for most things now :/ :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

You have to download the elmod app, connect the boqrd to the computer and start playing with the hundreds of different things inside.

Dont be scared, it is super fun.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

That's going to be a problem for me then Rad, I don't use my laptop, any other way I could do it ? :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee

Return to “El-Mod”