New firmware

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

New firmware

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

Well, as noted in the general forum, I got the fusion pro and have had a blast playing with the features and testing it out. Almost no problems so far, although occasionally (maybe twice?) the sound programmer had some glitches, like reverting to another tank profile, or all turret sounds stopped working. But those were fixed by a simple reboot of tank and computer. I think I was doing things too fast and furious and the software just gave up!

Anyway, I noticed that Thomas just released a new firmware version this week. Now you can have 24 user sounds and 8 extra functions, but it requires channel 5 to be on a knob or slider. I'm intrigued but may just stick with current setup because reasons.

Has anyone tried the upgrade? I'm really fearful of losing all my settings and having to reconfigure from scratch, although I've saved profiles as I've gone along. Also, the new firmware description states that updating no longer changes settings. Hmmm do I trust it? :S

Eager to hear if anyone has tried it out. And Rad, looks like your sound dreams are coming true with this board! 8)
Last edited by tankgirlfuzzy on Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tank Girl
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: New firmware

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Jesus christ, thanks for telling me.

You know what? I am the one that Told Thomas to fit 24 sounds, and how I would do it.

I am super happy now, to a limit you cannot imagine.

Give me a couple of days to try and experiment with it, and I will give you my tips and my how to.

With a decent programmable radio you can asign anything to any switch-pot or whatever you want.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

Don't be afraid to update the firmware. Take photos or screenshots before, so you can re-enter the same settings once the update is done ;)
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Ok, I installed the new computer app, the new phone app, and I flashed the newer firmware in the board.

The board is much, much better now. The Elmod fusion Pro does not only have 24 user sounds instead of the old 8, but the are also more user functions configurable, and also the elmod base (not pro) now can play those 24 sounds too!

Depending of the radio you have, you dont need any 3 position switch or knob. It is just a matter or programming the radio and sending the required signal to the Elmod board. Months ago I did this two videos that, sadly as usual, gathered no interest. People willing to play user sounds, or wanting to learn how to use advanced radios seems to be a rara avis in forums... But no probs, Ill keep sharing things.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Do not take those videos like a walkthrough, because that radio has been modified to far beyond most of human capabilities, and it wont match any existent radio in the market. (I must say that I followed the openrcforums tutorials to be able to achieve it, I did not invent the wheel. Joao and MikeB, I cannot thank you enough) what it is important is to see the signal I am sending and what is the tank doing. And also as you can see I am not touching the sticks for anything.

I will make a new video with a similar setup for those 24 sounds and extra functions, but I need some time (that might vary from weeks to months) for it.

Regarding your board, connect it to the computer, save your profile. Then update the app, then the board, and finaly load your profile. Everything will keep working exactly as it did, but now you can add more things to it.

IMHO at this moment, this is by far, the best board available in the market. Still ultra expensive though.

Enjoy.
tankgirlfuzzy
Recruit

Post by tankgirlfuzzy »

Thanks Rad for the quick report. I'm impressed by your radio, it's definitely better for tanks than mine, the Hitec Flash 8. My radio is very aircraft specific, and I can't figure out how to do mixes as flexibly as yours. I have to do specific function to function, and those functions are than assigned to a switch/slider/or control stick. I can't seem to mix function to just a switch which is not assigned, although I can activate flight conditions with a switch. Also, the many buttons you have on the back of your transmitter give you that many more options to play the sounds, something I don't have. I will have to think about how to do this without having channel 5 assigned to a slider or switch--I really don't think it's possible. The only possibility I can think of is assigning it to a function like flaps or landing gear, not assigning a control to it, and then mixing it with/to the elev/ail stick (my turret control). I tried it but got only two sounds and only intermittently and sometimes it would glitch like Max Headroom (there's an '80s reference for you), like it was confusing the board. I also have only 5 available mixes, and 5 flight conditions, and will quickly run out of switches since I have gun firing control on on switch and start engine/light on another. So even if I can figure this out, I won't be able to get all 24 sounds strictly on to switches, I will run out of control space or mixing options.

Anyway I'll have to experiment and figure it out, otherwise, there's no point in upgrading because I don't like using the slider. Right now I flick a three position switch on the left side to activate the "sound positions" for channel 5, then I throw one of two three position switches either fast or slow and I get my eight sounds. It's not perfect but it's better than moving the stick to get the sound, which I hate. Also, this might take a while, since I'm going on vacation soon and don't have time to play with all this while I'm preparing.
Tank Girl
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Hi.

The push buttons at the back is something I did myself. Nowadays I could not live without them, but the BEST thing if the radio is something I did nothing for it... The software! It looks like and old casio calculator, but it is unbelievable powerfull.

As I always say, the most important thing of the hobby, is the radio. For some reason most of the people seems to stick with very crappy radios with very limited software, and are unable to do almost anything with it.

I always recommend any radio that runs "opentx" or "erskytx" software.

Anyway, I dont know your radio, and I dont know the programming capabilities of it, but it does not look bad, so you might be able to do it too.

For triggering those 24 sounds I will need to reprogram the radio a bit. So with one switch in one posittion, I have access to 8 user sounds. With that switch in another possition, access to another 8 sounds and so on. Easy to do, but a bit time consumming.

Anyway you should be able to play the sounds in the original way, as the newer manual tells you. Anyway a minimum of 8, so dont worry too much about it.

And ah! I forgot to tell you, you have to update the files in your SD card too, with the newer sound manager!.

Return to “El-Mod”