Elmod Bluetooth DIY module

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
wibblywobbly
Major

Elmod Bluetooth DIY module

Post by wibblywobbly »

Elmod sells a Bluetooth module that allows programming to be done via a phone app.

I have bought a Bluetooth board (which is what is inside the Elmod heatshrink. The board has six pins:

1. State ->
2. RXD <- 3v
3. TXD ->
4. GND <-
5. VCC <- 3v-6v
6. EN <-

The Elmod module only uses 4 wires out of the 6.
Elmod Bluetooth.png
Elmod Bluetooth.png (15.41 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
The question is, which pins do the Orange, Black, Yellow, Red wires attach to? If anyone has got one and can see up inside the heatshrink, can you see where each wire goes on the board?
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Elmod Bluetooth DIY module

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Following with interest! I just got the module we were discussing in PM too, wibbly.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

I'll have a look at home tonight or tomorrow. I have this unit.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

https://www.elmod.eu/pdf/Fusion_BT_english.pdf
I imagine you already have this pdf, Rob. But, since I'm intent on getting an Elmod in the not too distant future (better pre-Brexit, if that ever happens :problem: ), I downloaded a copy for my own use anyway.
Aren't cable colours (DIN wiring standards) also linked with specific electronic functions? Just a thought.
Looks like a must-have unit, though. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Looking at the Fusion pro diagram, the USB/BT/Mlnk connector only five pins, of which four are used. Are you hoping to adapt the BT card you've bought to connect with that socket? Couldn't find a BT module pinout for this Elmod unit anywhere online. I bet you will, though. :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Looking at the Fusion pro diagram, the USB/BT/Mlnk connector only five pins, of which four are used. Are you hoping to adapt the BT card you've bought to connect with that socket? Couldn't find a BT module pinout for this Elmod unit anywhere online. I bet you will, though. :thumbup:
Hi 43rc, for throwing you a bit of background, me, as user of an Elmod, I wondered if using a cheap bluetooth module that you can find in ebay for one euro free shipping, could save from buying the original bluetooth adapter, that, when shipping added, was going to cost me about 50 euros. So I sent a PM to wibbly. Then he got another ebay module, and now we are struggling in how to connect our one euro modules in the Elmod boards.

Hope is clear now, lol, but thanks for the help anyway!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Whatever the pin connections are, they are a straight parallel run from the Bluetooth module to the plug that goes into the Elmod board. It's only four wires, and I could take a guess as to which ones they are, but I would rather 'know' that I was hooking up the correct ones. A couple of them I could take a guess at, but the top and bottom ones, may or may not go to the top and bottom pins on the Bluetooth board?

I would hazard a guess that:

Red - EN (there is a button on the Bluetooth board next to this one). This would be used to pair the board.
Orange - Could be State or RXD.
Black - Would normally be GND.
Yellow - Would then be VCC to power the board.

I might try a multimeter when I have got some time, if VCC and GND give me 3-6v on the Elmod Fusion Board then that would be the power.
That leaves Orange which will be either State, RXD, or TXD.

All of this assumes that the Elmod Board is the same Bluetooth version and that the pins are in the same order on the Elmod Bluetooth as they are on the one that I have.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rad_Schuhart wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:Looking at the Fusion pro diagram, the USB/BT/Mlnk connector only five pins, of which four are used. Are you hoping to adapt the BT card you've bought to connect with that socket? Couldn't find a BT module pinout for this Elmod unit anywhere online. I bet you will, though. :thumbup:
Hi 43rc, for throwing you a bit of background, me, as user of an Elmod, I wondered if using a cheap bluetooth module that you can find in ebay for one euro free shipping, could save from buying the original bluetooth adapter, that, when shipping added, was going to cost me about 50 euros. So I sent a PM to wibbly. Then he got another ebay module, and now we are struggling in how to connect our one euro modules in the Elmod boards.

Ah..! (smacks forehead), well, yes that now makes perfect sense, Rad. :{ As you've guessed, I wasn't clued up and the background to this post. Thanks, and having seen your tastyTamiya Pz IV with Elmod heart lately, I hope you won't mind if I pick your brains, when I come to plant the same unit in my Tam Pz IV project :thumbup:
Rad_Schuhart

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Rad_Schuhart wrote:

Ah..! (smacks forehead), well, yes that now makes perfect sense, Rad. :{ As you've guessed, I wasn't clued up and the background to this post. Thanks, and having seen your tastyTamiya Pz IV with Elmod heart lately, I hope you won't mind if I pick your brains, when I come to plant the same unit in my Tam Pz IV project :thumbup:
I will be honored!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

wibblywobbly wrote:Whatever the pin connections are, they are a straight parallel run from the Bluetooth module to the plug that goes into the Elmod board. It's only four wires, and I could take a guess as to which ones they are, but I would rather 'know' that I was hooking up the correct ones. A couple of them I could take a guess at, but the top and bottom ones, may or may not go to the top and bottom pins on the Bluetooth board?

I would hazard a guess that:

Red - EN (there is a button on the Bluetooth board next to this one). This would be used to pair the board.
Orange - Could be State or RXD.
Black - Would normally be GND.
Yellow - Would then be VCC to power the board.

I might try a multimeter when I have got some time, if VCC and GND give me 3-6v on the Elmod Fusion Board then that would be the power.
That leaves Orange which will be either State, RXD, or TXD.

All of this assumes that the Elmod Board is the same Bluetooth version and that the pins are in the same order on the Elmod Bluetooth as they are on the one that I have.
Having seen your posts over the years, Wibb, I appreciate the broad depth of knowledge you have of disciplines you bring to RC ventures (electronics, programming, 3D, CAD and more.). :)
Stumbling (and then bumbling) into a thread isn't something I like to do. :|
I tinker with breadboard kits, and that's about the extent of my DCv component experience. You won't find me converting an Arduino
board into a TCB, much as I'd like to. Domestic wiring, Car wiring, and (music) studio components I have a working knowledge of.
Anyway, and it's just a thought, doesn't the PCB on the Fusion pro have numbered traces on it that could indicate what the four active pins on the board link to, and subsequently, the connector block? Just wondering.
At all events, this could prove to very a very instructive thread :thumbup:

Return to “El-Mod”