Very confused on installing user sounds.

Here is the place to talk about everything El-Mod! Help with installing and upgrading ect.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Very confused on installing user sounds.

Post by EAO »

Ha! Guess we're kind of in the same boat. I'm using a new QX7S, a definite bit of a learning curve there! Love it though, seems it can do just about anything if you can figure out how to program it. From the Elmod user manual it sounded like a three position switch should allow access to all 24 user sounds. I have a coaxial MG that is wired up for one slot with a flip of the switch (down right stick same as the hull MG). My smoker is on by default when the tank is running which I like, and I have no auxiliary lighting.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

EAO: Hi, I got your message.
Maybe you can only see 8 sounds because your board is about one year old, when it was able to play only 8 user sounds until I insisted Thomas to fit those 24. (Tip: If you want to add something else to the board, write him and insist him, he might end adding it!) so the sound manager which is installed in the SD card and the software inside of the elmod board needs to be updated to the latest version.

Go to his website and download everything. The SD card files, the newest version of elmod software (which also contains the update for the board) and the latest manual where it will tell you how to update your elmod board and the signal combination for triggering the extra functions.

Keep on learning how your radio works, you will be able to asign the switches for the functions, not touching the sticks at all.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
EAO

Post by EAO »

Hello Rad,
Thanks for chiming in. I think you're on to the issue. Shortly after installing my Elmod the LED status indicator showed solid red and blue lights, indicating a problem with the sound card. The same problem smittyrob at RCUniverse had. Besides having no sound, I had limited commands with the tank. The turret rotated and cannon elevated and fired but no sound and nothing else worked. The sound card showed all the vehicles and files available when installed on the computer, but showed no current sample set and wouldn't list any options. None could be loaded or changed.
I downloaded older sound firmware per instructions in the Elmod manual as to how to create a new sound card. This fixed the problem and all seemed good. I still didn't have a cannon elevation sound file and had to import one from a panther sound file too. Same as Anthony James at RCUniverse.
I did a update in March of this year for their latest one. If I have the sound card in the board when I update does everything get updated together? Or do I have to have the sound card in the computer and update it separately?
I appreciate your input, you seem to be the man regarding sound files and the Elmod's.
Cheers, Eric

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

He sure is. Pulled my bacon out of the fire many times.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Well, now we know the issue was old software.

Update everything;
Download and install the latest Elmod app in your computer, (you can unninstall the current version first)
Download and copy the latest audio pack in your SD card, that includes the newest sound manager.
Download the latest manual from the website, there it says how to update the board software better than I can write it.

If you do that you will have everything updated and you will be able to play those 24 sounds.

Don't forget to include me in your night prayers, lol.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
EAO

Post by EAO »

Hey there,
After many private messages and head scratching (mostly done by myself) I'm up and running. Problem did seem to be multi layered and probably self created. I just wanted to give a shout out to all those who responded. And a huge thank you to Rad and Jimster. The "Rad School of Tankology" is again working miracles! I know that for me and my computer, electronic challenged brain that without the help from you guys and this forum I'd have a nice static shelf queen instead of an actual functioning RC tank! I also can't forget Thomas at Elmod, fast response to my questions and amazing customer service. A hearty 3 cheers all around!

Regards,
Eric.

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Always nice to have everything working as it should. I’ve often said that this forum is the most useful tool I have.

Return to “El-Mod”