'Dinner for one'- English drunk classic loved by Germans

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

'Dinner for one'- English drunk classic loved by Germans

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Freddie Frinton (1909-1968) is probably unknown to many in Britain, except perhaps those in, or approaching, the 'departure lounge' years. :| However, despite being teetotal, he used to appear on TV performing a celebrated drunk routine. :crazy: I always remember the broken cigarette prop he had (held together with invisible string), and the prodigious slurred utterances that would merit subtitles these days. :D
'Dinner for one', performed with May Warden, morphed from a stage routine into a short video beloved in German-speaking countries. I think it's true to say that appears every year on German television around Christmas and New Year, much in the way 'The Snowman' has appeared on British TV. Except that in Germany, 'Dinner for one' is almost a must-see- a sort of ritual. In my experience, I've found that the British and Germans share pretty much the same sense of humour :thumbup: Long may we be allowed to laugh :shifty: :haha:
I've seen a few glazed eyes in my time, and folk tottering about (London and Glasgow- where staggering is an art), but even the truly pissed/bladdered would find it hard to match Freddie's routine. :haha:
phpBB [video]

Slainte! Bottom's up! :haha: Getting Merry Christmas!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Off topic”