WALES, YOU CANT BEAT IT FOR PASSION.....

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

WALES, YOU CANT BEAT IT FOR PASSION.....

Post by HERMAN BIX »

With half shut eyes at 0200hrs, I was soon awoken properly to the humming of the Cardiff Arms Park crowd in preparation of the Test match between Wales and the All Blacks.

The raising of the voices all as one in the sell out crowd I have been respectful and in awe of since I was a small boy waking up to watch games with my Dad that still has the same effect today.
Out of all the Rugby playing nations anthems, Wales's when sung by the crowd is top.
I will risk giving the Argentinian one a rap here too.
The All Blacks are everything I wanted to be in the world & couldnt, everything I wanted for my kids to be & they couldnt, but the tears in my eyes and the hair on my neck standing up when Cardiff Arms comes to voice is the only thing that comes close to that connection.

The result while great looking was heavily influenced by a lack of top Welsh players not being made available by clubs to play for their country...................and that is actually offensive.
I get the club thing is important, but its WALES for God Sake..............let the best team on the field.
The "Boyo's" can still be proud.

I'm off for a snooze now after the emotion has worn off, back to tanking later.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rob1970
Corporal

Re: WALES, YOU CANT BEAT IT FOR PASSION.....

Post by Rob1970 »

Oh man!!! I'm so with you there!!! So awesome! So majestic!!! Those songs that carry for MILES!!! How they manage to breach the waves and jump so high!! How they manage to eat tonnes of tiny shrimps to sustain their ENORMOUS bodies!! Oh... wait... That's -Whales-... silly me, only read the title... ;D ;D ;D

Edit; In all fairness, I've seen some rugby-players at an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, so that last bit could still apply...
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Rob1970 wrote:Oh man!!! I'm so with you there!!! So awesome! So majestic!!! Those songs that carry for MILES!!! How they manage to breach the waves and jump so high!! How they manage to eat tonnes of tiny shrimps to sustain their ENORMOUS bodies!! Oh... wait... That's -Whales-... silly me, only read the title... ;D ;D ;D

Edit; In all fairness, I've seen some rugby-players at an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet, so that last bit could still apply...
:D ... 'Wales' from Anglo-Saxon - "Wealas'. That's Old English/Angelsächsisch. In Northern English dialect, the Welsh Folk are: "Frammit', or, in German 'Fremd' (meaning 'Foreign). :D
There is also a root connection between the English word for the language of Wales, 'Welsh', and the German 'Kauderwelsch', meaning: gibberish. :D :shh:
Wales is, of course, 'Cymru' and the mother-tongue they speak: 'Cymraeg'. As a fellow celt (...and I've been called worse :D ) I can confirm that the singing and swigging genes, are part of the Celtic makeup
Also, when I was a nipper, I was quite smitten by Glynis Johns in the ghostly Flick: 'The Halfway House'... you gotta love 'em.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

And you all thought this Forum was all about Radio Controlled Armour HAH Wrong again,
Thank you Roy for yet more erudition, There is always space for it here :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

The Scots do alright too....

phpBB [video]
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

Well, it made -me- chuckle... ;D
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:D :clap: Me too!
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

The last time I was in Wales was about thirty years ago, we stayed in a place with another couple overlooking some rolling hills in the distance. One day my friends wife exclaimed that one of the boulders on a hill had moved, the rest of us thought she'd imagined it, till she pointed out which rock had moved, to which we replied, they're not boulders, they are sheep :haha: :haha:

There were also a lot of lambs, and one morning we noticed there wasn't any lambs on the hills. That afternoon, we went into town for some supplies, and the butchers had a sign up. "Fresh local lamb just in." Did make us stop and think about the situation.

As for listening to the Welsh crowd, I must admit, I've always enjoyed their enthusiasm.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

It's the sheep wearing Wellingtons, being pursued by 'enthusiastic' farmers, that you really don't want to see (allegedly, and from a dated stereorype). :D
For beautiful landscapes, the Lake Bala area and Snowdonia, as well as parts of Pembrokeshire (Tenby area) almost match parts of Scotland. Portmeirion, where the 'cult' sixties series, 'The Prisoner' (with Patrick McGoohan) was filmed, is also a must-see destination in North Wales. :thumbup:
http://www.portmeirion-village.com
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Every time I hear or read about the Prisoner I think that was an opportunity lost,
Why oh why did I never at least have a drive in a a Lotus Seven :lolno: :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Off topic”