A new sensible family car maybe...........

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.

Sensible yes or no :)

Poll ended at Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:17 pm

YES, TOTALLY Genius
73%
NO, YOUR STUPID
27%

Total votes: 11

Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: A new sensible family car maybe...........

Post by Estnische »

Apart from the first couple of Mk2 Cortinas, my first car I bought that I wanted was a Mk1 V6 Capri. I owned it for all of three days. Blew a head gasket, and while it was in the stages of having a mate look at it, it was stolen, involved in a chase in which it was written off. Bought a sensible Dastun, got sick of its blandness and got a Falcon GT lookalike. Had it for a few months and it was stolen, and subsequently recovered. Since then I've been Captain Sensible.

Fast forward to after my kids have left home, and I finally have a performance car again. I feel like my adult life has been lost to Captain Sensible.

My new ride is a Golf GTI. Touchwood, it's been OK. If I want to go hotter, I can go and see a remapping company and/or fit Golf R bits. Plug-and-play with the VAG family.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

That's a lot of thefts! Just remind me where you live again

Sent from my ASUS_X00TDB using Tapatalk
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

A sensible family car, some form of Volvo estate and mod the bollocks off it!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

tomhugill wrote:A sensible family car, some form of Volvo estate and mod the bollocks off it!
The late Paul Newman -a noted car nut, Shoehorned a V8 into a Volvo wagon and after sorting the brakes and suspension he ended up with a very fast well handling and practical car that the average teenage car thief would not give a second look at.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

If it was an old skool rwd volvo estate with the big engine, then a big turbo could be fun
But, I'm afraid to say I never got into Volvos. The T5 estate were cool aswell. I know they could make really decent power.
At least from the poll so far I can see most have thought it is truly sensible with a few saying not so....... shame on you guys who said no hahahhahahahahahaa
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Another vote for the VXR, Will. I had a VE SS Commodore for several years, I still miss the big V8 sound coming through the 3.5" stainless system. The 22L/100km I was getting around town, not so much (11 mpg for the left-hand drivers). :haha:
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0432.jpg
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Lovely jubbly. The colour is awesome aswell.

11mpg is not too bad really. My Alfa v6 used to average 14mpg to and from work........ and that is half the capacity. I really will get one at somepoint.
I tried all the electric cars and they just don't do it for me
I know fuel expensive, but in comparison to buying bottled water, it's cheap.
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Will01Capri wrote:Lovely jubbly. The colour is awesome aswell.

I know fuel expensive, but in comparison to buying bottled water, it's cheap.
Off thread,
In our travels around the Indian Ocean we would find 2 bottles of water gratis in the rooms fridge but of course after they were empty you would have to pay for replacements,
Every year prior to our holiday we would go to "Boots" and buy a pack of Water purification tablets for pennies, After drinking one of the free bottles we would refill it from the tap in the en-suite and put a tablet in the bottle then put it in the fridge overnight,
Never suffered the runs in all the years we have holidayed in hotels in that area and almost certainly saved a fortune.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, if we're going back to the 'traffic light Grand Prix' era, from the safe, reliable and sedate Honda days; I'd probably go for the Civic Type 'R'. It has a fantastic engine, and excellent handling. More than that, it still has some of that Honda reliability surrounding it. Mind you, parts aren't cheap :problem:
I've driven my lad's Porsche Carrera 911, but that thing almost needs a parachute on 're-entry' into normal driving conditions. :O
Car-nut Jay Kay, of Jamiroqui, has a house up here at Red Point (or did have). I've seen him riding around in one of those harmless-looking Mercedes 'G' Wagons. It looks a bit like a cousin of the old Land Rover; but this one's on steroids and crystal meth. :O It has almost 600 Bhp, and does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds... 8O 8O
Now, there's a sensible family motor for you :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

You two seem like a Jeep Wrangler 4 Door couple to me. Perfect!

Return to “Off topic”