Is this real?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Is this real?

Post by jhamm »

At first I thought it was a joke:
In the UK, only the old weights and measures will soon be allowed to be used again - even the "Crown Stamp" is allowed again.

But I think this is real.... :O
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: Is this real?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I have not seen a Crown Stamp since I was an apprentice !!
Boiler plate was certified with a Crown Stamp, we even got the inspector to supervise the "crowning " of the likely off-cut material as it was still deemed Boiler Quality Certified steel.

Surely the old measures wont come back................(but have they ever really left ? :shifty: :shh: :problem: :lolno: )
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Possibly. https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/uk-news/ ... asurements Now most shops have switched to metric I doubt much will happen though. Good diversion tactic though (to drag us vaguely towards topic....).
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I have crown stamps on pint glasses 'liberated' from various places during my student days in the early to mid 90's - it was all a lie, as they are smaller than the actual 'pint to line' souvenir pint glasses that I have from various real ale festivals.
I also remember the crack down on the pub trade in the late 1990's where they were forced to serve beer in glasses that contained an actual pint of beer, with room for the foam head.

Maybe another bogus 'Brexit benefit' for the older generations, who still seem to think that 'The British Empire' is still a thing, but can't imagine that anyone in my generation and younger is going to think that this was a worth while outcome.

Edit:
About the only thing this move will achieve is give the retail sector the excuse to increase prices.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Don't worry. Brexit will be less than a bad dream in no time at all. What with Covid and WW3 looming large this will all be the least of our worries. Maybe if everyone over 40 was put down all would be solved, including climate change!

Maybe bottled beer would overcome the small pint issue. There again, you can't beat real ale straight from the keg. A few pints of that and you won't care either way :crazy: :wave:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
AGKPeiper
Lance Corporal

Post by AGKPeiper »

It may happen, maybe not, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I still operate in inches where I can and we never lost pints etc.
The British empire is indeed long gone, soon to be followed by the European 'Union' as that is now disintegrating.

Return to “Off topic”