Amazing dexterity...

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Amazing dexterity...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Okay, this has nothing whatever to do with RC tanks, beyond the fact that what these guys do here requires dedication, creativity, and astonishing dexterity. All of which one needs in order to scratch build models. :D
As brilliant as Gary Moore was- and I've never seen him play jazz licks before, as he does exquisitely here 8O - the second guitarist here (0.55 seconds in) does a jazzy take on 'Route 66' that would normally require lead, rhythm, and bass jazz guitarists. If not that, then six hands and three brains. :O I play the guitar, but really haven't a clue how he manages this magic feat of prestidigitation.
Do watch. :D :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Amazing dexterity...

Post by jarndice »

Gary Moore one of musics more unlikely Genius Axemen, But the style that he was playing in took me straight to Django Reinhardt who favoured a modified "Selma" guitar,
It was modified because when he was on the road gigging prewar Django (Jean) being Romani he and his wife would stay in a towed caravan and one night the van caught fire and he was seriously burnt nearly losing his leg and losing the movement in two fingers of his left hand.
Later meeting up with the Jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli they would alter the upto then interpretation of "Modern" Jazz.
Some call his style an acquired taste but all I know is it was magical to watch his dexterity and unless you knew of his disability you would never be aware of it in his fingering. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wow! And I have enough trouble assembling Aber photo etch detail parts.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Gary Moore one of musics more unlikely Genius Axemen, But the style that he was playing in took me straight to Django Reinhardt who favoured a modified "Selma" guitar,
It was modified because when he was on the road gigging prewar Django (Jean) being Romani he and his wife would stay in a towed caravan and one night the van caught fire and he was seriously burnt nearly losing his leg and losing the movement in two fingers of his left hand.
Later meeting up with the Jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli they would alter the upto then interpretation of "Modern" Jazz.
Some call his style an acquired taste but all I know is it was magical to watch his dexterity and unless you knew of his disability you would never be aware of it in his fingering. :thumbup:
Yes, Shaun, I was once a big fan of Django. He, of course, used special tunings to assist his unique- and necessary- two-finger technique. (No jokes please!).
I also liked Eddie Lang from the same period- but, (and as a guitarist, I've studied loads of individual styles)- I'd never seen anyone quite as frenetic as the Balinese guy in the video :O :crazy: . That said, I once saw someone busking on Denmark St., in London, playing what looked like an upright 8- string 'stick' bass. He also played bass, rhythm and solo parts simultaneously, and even had time to tap in a rhythm as well. I swear he had eight arms, like a Hindu deity.
The guitar looked a lot like this. More like a dulcimer, in fact):
The performer didn't look like this one, however, or the crowd forming there might have been larger... :/
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Wow! And I have enough trouble assembling Aber photo etch detail parts.

:D
Well, twenty years ago I managed to replace the capacitor in a Seiko automatic watch, and reassemble it- and it worked!.
These days, just getting the key in the front door lock can seem like a challenge :/ (and no, I don't mean after a dram :haha: ).
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I joined the service I was trained as a Driver, (A and B class vehicles) an Aircraft Handler and as a Radio Operator,All that and taught to kill her Majesty's enemies :thumbup: :haha:
I needed indeed I was required to have a wrist watch to carry out my duties, Of course I could have signed out a Military watch but when I arrived in Singapore I first came upon SEIKO Timepieces and bought one for 28 Singapore dollars,(Bargain)
It did a good job but "Time" took its toll and I replaced it with another Seiko but in the course of an "event" while saving my wrist from serious injury it sacrificed itself in the process and so I bought another that as a civilian I assumed it would last forever and that was when I discovered the biggest problem with Seiko automatic Watches "The Capacitor",Its failings were apparently common knowledge but not to me and it now sits in a drawer replaced by a Pulsar that was recommended by Alwyn on this Forum which has so far given two years unblemished service (Thanks Alwyn) although its major selling point (A Viable Diving Watch) has yet to be tested due to this virus but an excellent timekeeper and has two selling points,Price and the company is owned by Seiko although the watch is without a capacitor :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Off topic”