ANZAC Day.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

ANZAC Day.

Post by jarndice »

I would like to offer my prayer of thanks to the brave Soldiers of the ANZAC on this day and for all that we regrettably fail to celebrate this day in the UK with the respect that it deserves,
This year has made even our usually pitiful display even more dismal than usual,
So at a time when the Royal family are in mourning for the loss of a loved one it pleased me that Princess Anne and her Husband did the honours in respect to ANZAC Day and all that it means to the people of Australia and New Zealand.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: ANZAC Day.

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

:( :| My neighbour's uncle emigrated to New Zealand, from the Highlands, in 1910. By 1917, he'd been killed on the Western front fighting for New Zealand, and the Commonwealth. But, was he a fallen Scot, or an Anzac? It's easy to overlook how many of the dead were from British stock.

Edit: Of course, WW1 was an almost entirely futile and incomprehensible waste of life, for all the participants.
Stopping Hitler, in WW2, needed no justification. Then again, Stalin was hardly a good guy either. :problem: In the end, it's always the ordinary folk who suffer most. :thumbdown: However, bravery and loss should never be forgotten.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Thank you Mr Jarndice for the thoughts on the probably single most sincere day of our calendar for any occasion.

Having trod the earth of Gallipoli on the Centenary in 2015 where it all began for our Commonwealth nations so to speak, and having the privilege of meeting Royal Representatives on that day at Chunuk Bair Memorial, the day that I had been a part of all my known life to that point back only in New Zealand, suddenly really meant a lot more.

The long trek up to the memorial, the long trail of Turkish folk also leaving the sacred place before "we" got there, and the distinct lack of reference to the British and other nations losses during campaign somehow changed me.
No matter the later nationalist leanings, we were always British Stock and fought for the Great Mother Country across the ocean when called.
No matter the country of origin, respect is given to the enormous losses that the local combatants suffered defending with God Given birthright, their own land, and the allies that also lost so many more numbers of their children in that land who certainly go unannounced in commemorations I have attended & seen until that day.

We listen to a poem written to somehow ease the resentment of old mindsets, and to remind us of our collective heritage :

"Our Flag bears the stars that blaze at night
in our Southern Sky of Blue
And that little old Flag in the corner,
thats part of our heritage too.

Its for the English, the Scots and the Irish
who were sent to the ends of the earth
The rogues and the schemers,the doers and dreamers
who gave modern Australia its birth

And you who are shouting to change it
you dont seem to understand
Its the flag of our laws and our language
not the flag of a faraway land

There are plenty of people who will tell you
how when Europe was plunged into night
That little old flag in the corner
was their symbol of freedom and light

its only an old piece of bunting
its only an old coloured rag
but there are thousands who died for its honour
and fell in defence of our flag

It doesn't mean we owe our allegiance
to a forgotten Imperial dream
we've the stars to show where we're going
And the old flag to show where we've been

Arthur Phillip

And as a proud New Zealander sharing this land of plenty with its rightfully born Australians, I would give up my life to defend that flag and all it means if asked.

"lest We Forget"
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hi Guy's,

A little late...as always! :/ I did take note of this when one of our employee's asked what ANZAC Day was as he saw it on the calendar. A long, very long explanation came from me explaining the significance and sacrifice involved in this day of remembrance, mostly surrounding the Gallipoli Campaign. As he is a Millennial, and shuns anything to do with reading I noted several movies he could watch that would at least give him some understanding of what I was talking about. :/

As a Yank who only knows of these travails through history books, I think Mr. Bix really nailed it. Eloquently and well said!

Regards,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I think my world history knowledge has almost doubled since I joined this forum.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jimster,
Mr Bix and I have the advantage over you having been members of the largest Empire the world has ever known we have relatives who have been there and done that pretty much whatever it was and wherever in the known World it was.
I do believe your part of the World was once part of the Empire until Donald Trump decided to leave :crazy: :lolno:
At least I think it was Donnie but it could have been John Wayne :shh:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Jimster wrote:I think my world history knowledge has almost doubled since I joined this forum.
Don't forget your vocabulary! I've added many fine words and phrases to my own, personal lexicon due to our friend's over the Big Pond! :thumbup: :clap: Thanks guys! :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!

Return to “Off topic”