54 mm. plastic wonders

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

54 mm. plastic wonders

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I thought about posting this under "figures" but decided to start at "off topic." Do any of you also have the old-fashioned kind of toy soldiers hanging around your places, maybe secretly so you don't seem to be too crazy?

Here are just a few of mine, some WWII Russians. Obviously there are the conscripts in green, but also a true "red army" leading the charge.
IMG_E1108.JPG
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: 54 mm. plastic wonders

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Back in the 1950s, Airfix used to produce packs of soldiers in 1/32 scale- I think (DAK, British, and American Civil War- with roughly forty troops per pack).
Something along these lines: The packs usually included a stretchered casualty, and stretcher bearers. I used to have fun knocking them over with my (Corgi ?)matchstick- firing 25-pounder. :D
I guess they're all collectibles these days.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
FredtheFrench
Corporal

Post by FredtheFrench »

When I was young, I played with Starlux military figures and military vehicles from Solido... :thumbup:
Sorry for my spelling mistakes, I try to do better every day...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, I still have a ton of Airfix 1/72nd figures and vehicles, and matchstick firing guns stashed away. I used to collect and build the Airfix tank kits in similar scale around 1968 to 72 when I moved on to Tamiya 1/35th tanks bought with my paper round money lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Hello guys,

You have me intrigued and a bit confused. Just what are these "matchstick" firing tanks that you are talking about? I'm guessing as the name implies, a real matchstick that is "fired" out of a toy barrel? Never heard of one before, where were these things when I was a kid?! :think:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

This sort of thing Eric. Just like this field gun, that wire bit at the breach was pulled back and turned sideways to lock it in place, then you put a matchstick all the way down the barrel, then take aim and release the wire by pushing it upright, would spring forward and fire the matchstick.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210315-155113.jpg

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Thanks Mick,

That's pretty much what I imagined, but way cooler! I've never seen, or heard of one over here. I wonder if it predates me, or just isn't something we had over here? Ever get lucky enough to have the matchstick ignite upon contact with a target?! :D

Thanks again! :thumbup: :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You're welcome.

No, they never had enough force to ignite on contact.
However, you could fit a bit of strike at the end of the barrel :D but you did lose a bit of momentum, and while it fizzed it didn't get blown out. Although lighting the match before firing it still gave good results lol.
Thankfully matches are now age restricted :D

jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:This sort of thing Eric. Just like this field gun, that wire bit at the breach was pulled back and turned sideways to lock it in place, then you put a matchstick all the way down the barrel, then take aim and release the wire by pushing it upright, would spring forward and fire the matchstick.
Don't talk to me about matchstick firing artillery,
Every Saturday clutching my pocket money I would walk into town (7 years old and no one ever thought it was dangerous to let a young child walk 2 miles alone into town and back)
and so to the bestest toy shop in the world, :thumbup:
I would wander through the store looking for Messrs "Britains" latest in soldiery,
Pay my money and walk home,
My Father would check out my soldier/s and enlighten me on the particular Regiment that my latest purchase was (Hand) painted in.
Then we would set up the army/s and fight to the inevitable moment when a "MATCHSTICK" fired at great speed would knock off the head of one of my soldiers :thumbdown:
Hopefully not the latest recruit.
Salvage the Matchstick and poke one end into the snapped base of the head the other end into the body,(Never did have a medic on the strength)
Lead soldiers were great and looked wonderful when painted by the artists at "Britains" but i suspect that health and safety would have banned them if "Airfix" and others had not preempted them with plastic soldiers which looked awful when painted.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Off topic”