Murray Walker OBE

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Murray Walker OBE

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The voice of motor racing and in particular, Formula 1, Murray Walker has died at the age of 97. I met him a couple of times at corporate hospitality clay pigeon shoots when I was instructing. He really was a lovely man. He will be sorely missed.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Murray Walker OBE

Post by Estnische »

Yes, I loved his commentary, especially with James Hunt.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

And he was a Biker to the core :thumbup:
I have over the years come to the conclusion that reporters rarely know their subject But Murray Walker not only knew his subject but had been there and done that and was on first name terms with Fangio,Moss, Hawthorn, Hill snr/jnr as well as Phil, Clark, Stewart as well as Geoff Duke, Mike Hailwood as well as the reticent but extraordinarily talented John Surtees and his father.
He was one of very few post war journalists who knew of the true maestro of motor racing "Tazio Nuvolari",
If you could get him to talk about Nuvolari you were in for a treat.
Today Formula 1 appears to need half a dozen or more "Experts" to give a commentary whereas Murray Walker and James Hunt were a 5 course banquet by themselves.
RIP and thank you sir.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ditto to all of that, and I also enjoyed some of his celebrated 'howlers', all taken in good part; like those of David Coleman, and his 'Colemanballs". Here's a Murrayism that was mentioned in the news:
"So Bernie [Ecclestone], in the seventeen years since you bought McLaren, which of your many achievements do you think was the most memorable ?" Bernie Answers, "Well I don't remember buying McLaren."
Hilarious!! :clap: He'll be sorely missed, but then so will all those be who made Britain, Britain.. :|
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

And what a life to celebrate! Truly a legend in the sport. Tank goodness for VHS players and classis reruns. He made F1 on TV, his best years probably with James as their big personalities clashed so smoothly! He waited for 2021 test weekend to go and his memories are justly dominating today's commentary. I never met him to talk yet l feel l knew him as a close friend, such was his warmth.

Rest in peace Murray. And thank you.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Something not mentioned here but I picked up elsewhere, Murray Walker was a tanker, but didn't want to talk about his service.

According to his book, he went to Sandhurst and became an officer with the Royal Scots Greys. He commanded a Sherman and fought in the Battle of the Reichswald, ending the war as a Captain.

Here on the right, in 1945, as a 21-year-old tank commander,. He had just crossed the Rhine, when who should be bump into, but his dear old dad, left, who was covering the advance for the British newspapers.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Something not mentioned here but I picked up elsewhere, Murray Walker was a tanker, but didn't want to talk about his service.

According to his book, he went to Sandhurst and became an officer with the Royal Scots Greys. He commanded a Sherman and fought in the Battle of the Reichswald, ending the war as a Captain.

Here on the right, in 1945, as a 21-year-old tank commander,. He had just crossed the Rhine, when who should be bump into, but his dear old dad, left, who was covering the advance for the British newspapers.
Well, nobody mentioned that in the TV tributes I saw. A Fascinating tidbit of info, Brett!. :)
By sheer coincidence, my Dad's division (43rd Wessex) was also involved in that very same campaign (Reichswald/Kleve) as Murray's unit. I've been there to check it out, as it's the one campaign my Dad ever talked about, at length- apart from Hill 112 in Normandy.
Murray was, of course, as his name might suggest, of Scottish origin- at least on his Dad's side. ;)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Off topic”