Tariff's?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Tariff's?

Post by jarndice »

OK, The commons have voted for the trade deal with the EU, it now goes to the Lords who will rubber stamp it and then HM Queen will give it the final nod and by AM tomorrow as the EU already today signed up to it earlier today it will be the law of the land SO how if at all will it affect us in this hobby?
Will my purchases from Dom cost me more will my ABER photo-etch cost more?
Considering that this will be the law throughout Western Europe does anyone know the legal status of imports and exports of for instance PZ4 Idler tensioners or is it simply extra paperwork?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Re: Tariff's?

Post by abramsky »

jarndice wrote:OK, The commons have voted for the trade deal with the EU, it now goes to the Lords who will rubber stamp it and then HM Queen will give it the final nod and by AM tomorrow as the EU already today signed up to it earlier today it will be the law of the land SO how if at all will it affect us in this hobby?
Will my purchases from Dom cost me more will my ABER photo-etch cost more?
Considering that this will be the law throughout Western Europe does anyone know the legal status of imports and exports of for instance PZ4 Idler tensioners or is it simply extra paperwork?
Hi
I cannot comment on all the business in the EU, but here's what I got from eBay this week:

"Add VAT to bids before Jan 1st, before eBay starts collecting VAT on goods imported into the UK

Dear seller,

As reported in the latest Seller News, eBay will begin collecting and remitting VAT on goods imported into the UK from January 1, 2021. From that date, eBay will directly charge buyers the applicable VAT rate and remit it to the tax office.

Sellers dealing with UK buyers and listing on UK or other European eBay sites will be required to provide gross prices and the applicable VAT rate on which the gross price has been calculated on all bids. If the seller does not provide gross prices and VAT rates, we will have to assume that the quoted price is a net price and add VAT to the price displayed to buyers.

For sellers listing on eBay.co.uk or other European eBay sites, we recommend that you submit the applicable VAT rate for existing offers as soon as possible. All new offers should include the VAT rate. In the form of listing and editing offers, next to the price, you will find a field that allows you to enter the VAT rate.

What you need to know:

- From 1 January 2021, eBay will collect and remit VAT on all goods with a value up to £ 135 imported into the UK. The current VAT exemption on imports of goods worth up to £ 15 will be abolished.

- If the seller is a non-UK company and the goods are already in the UK, eBay will collect and remit VAT on goods sold to UK consumers, regardless of value.

Sellers should start listing the applicable VAT rates on all active and new sales offers as soon as possible. If sellers do not collect VAT themselves, the presented VAT rate should be 0%. In this case, the gross and net price will be the same and eBay will add the applicable UK VAT rate.

- From March 1, 2021, we will require you to add a VAT rate when listing bids on eBay.co.uk and other European eBay sites.

This message does not constitute legal or tax advice. We recommend that you contact an independent tax advisor or legal advisor to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.

Thank you for selling on eBay,
EBay Team"

I am sorry if there are any errors - this is a translation from Polish
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I think that will come as a surprise to many of us most especially as VAT will no longer be a compulsory Tax within the UK although it would be a fool who believed the Chancellor would repeal it even though he could. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I'm certainly not fully informed but l thought that the deal struck with the EU included no tariffs being applied so as to retain free trade. That eBay solution sounds rather complicated.

If we buy from the UK then 1/ there should be no complications and 2/ there should be less 'missunderstandings', such as a recent 1/16 scale RC truck purchase from China arriving in the form of a 1/32 item!

Don't worry, we'll find a way around it. The only country l purchase from and pay tariffs is the US and that's only because.the US insists on sellers declaring real value of goods. The Chinese rarely declare anything above $2 ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Seems very strange to insist sellers collect vat when that's usually collected at source when an item comes into the UK. Why change something that world's for the rest of the world.

Also I wonder if we will get the vat reduction for certain seller that people outside the EU get.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

tomhugill wrote:Seems very strange to insist sellers collect vat when that's usually collected at source when an item comes into the UK. Why change something that world's for the rest of the world.

Also I wonder if we will get the vat reduction for certain seller that people outside the EU get.
It is not sellers that collect VAT from buyers. EBay does this directly during the PayPal payment transaction. The tax is added automatically to the purchase price and you have no influence on it. Any tricks of lowering the price of the goods then no longer make sense. You can try to change this if you talk to the seller first before buying. But I can't guarantee it will work.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

abramsky wrote:
tomhugill wrote:Seems very strange to insist sellers collect vat when that's usually collected at source when an item comes into the UK. Why change something that world's for the rest of the world.

It is not sellers that collect VAT from buyers. EBay does this directly during the PayPal payment transaction. The tax is added automatically to the purchase price and you have no influence on it. Any tricks of lowering the price of the goods then no longer make sense. You can try to change this if you talk to the seller first before buying. But I can't guarantee it will work.
Yes seems very odd ebay have any involvment in this process when good which would have been subject to it from outside the EU never have been.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

I'm just a poor retailer with several years of experience on eBay and I only know how it works when I selling eg. to some states in the US.
Sellers don't even get a cent from eBay's tax bill. I don't know the tax transfer procedure, but I think so It is handed over by eBay directly to the tax office of the buyer's country of origin. The buyer pays the price for the goods plus shipping costs plus tax. I can only see how much extra he paid but the tax is collected by eBay via PayPal.
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Hello guys. Some new information about your post-Brexit situation.

In the previous week, I realized the order from Poland to UK.
In the details of the eBay / PayPal transaction, I received GB 365 6085 76 Code, and information about the amount of tax (calculations show that it is 20%). The tax was paid by the buyer during the PayPal transaction.
I checked this code on google and here's what i found:
https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Busines ... 856/page/7

Hope this information is helpful...
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by RobW »

Does that mean I don't pay EU VAT and it's then collected by HMRC via Ebay? So overall the cost is about the same? How does that work for stuff that's imported into Germany/Poland/Spain from outside the EU?

Return to “Off topic”