Veterans stories

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Veterans stories

Post by Jimster »

It probably was an M60. Haze grey and underway!
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Post by Rattlesnake road »

Stupidity never goes away, after hostilities ceased in the first Gulf War the guys I was with went clearing Iraqi defence bunkers, For some unexplained reason they began throwing grenades at one another, each guy taking a turn to go outside and throw a grenade before they took a bunker each and the throwing progressed from that.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Sounds as if they had a real blast.
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

Jailed then dismissed from the Army
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

That would be Colchester on Sea, Fun palace,
We had three newbies posted to our unit while we were away on exercise,
They stole the O/Cs car and made for Ostend, The MPs stopped them,
Courts Martial and so to Jail,
Shepton Mallet was closed and Colchester was not up and running so they went to Barlinnie in Glasgow,
I just bet they enjoyed every second :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

MCTC Colchester is not the place it used to be years ago, I remember the tales of half an egg, how do you measure half an egg. I did 2 postings to Colchester, spent time in the military hospital during the first one, had a jab for a new virus and ended up getting it. Temperature went rocketing and I woke in hospital with fans around the bed blowing air over ice buckets.
Rattlesnake road
Lance Corporal

1976 on a big training area, a broken down 432 of C Company. Luckily for me I was driver of another 432 but we were tasked to see if it was something simple. I sat in the back on the radio and making coffee for the guys, when a message came asking how long we would be. Called out to the boss for a sitrep and he replied about 20 minutes, message passed back to the higher echelon. Next message was were to move now as the guns had fired and we were in the impact zone. Shouted to the boss and moved to the drivers position, had to reverse back to the other 432 where the guys attached the 17 foot 6inch wire tow rope and once secure proceeded up a slope to the top of a ridge. As we neared the top you could see the dots of the shells as they went over, the infantry section scattered and took cover where ever they could.
No one got injured but a fun situation.

Return to “Off topic”