The Forces Sweetheart

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

The Forces Sweetheart

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Following the news this morning I am going to break the rules. Again.

As many of us build WWII models and some of you had relatives that served or may have even of seen her. I feel it deserves a mention.

We pay respects to the men who served every November.

Today I would like to pay respects to the woman that made life on the front line that little more manageable for some of those men. So with no more explanation let’s Pay our respects to

Dame Vera Lynn.

(Sorry about the spelling)
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jarndice
Colonel

Re: The Forces Sweetheart

Post by jarndice »

You have not broken the rules merely placed it in the wrong place because it is "Off Topic". And yes she was a beacon of light in a time of darkness and she brought to the forefront of the mind not only to the citizens of the UK but those in the War Office the courage of William Slims "Forgotten Army The 14th",Fighting (And defeating) the Japanese in Burma.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Just feel she deserves our respect is all.
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

The Queen based her well-received address to the nation on the 'We'll meet again' theme. Dame vera will forever be associated with the sentiments of that song, as well as (There'll be Bluebirds over) 'The White Cliffs of Dover'. That was at a time when many of the 'birds' over Dover actually sported cannon, machine guns, RAF roundels, or Balkan Crosses. She had a wonderful voice (great vocal range, and lovely distinctive timbre)together with a warm motherly personality, but yet still managed to project strength and determination.
We had Vera for morale; the Yanks had Betty Grable and others. Our German cousins had 'Lili Marlene'- sung by 'Lale Andersen' (Elisabeth Bunneberg). That song was loved by friend and foe alike; but whilst the troops really loved Andersen, the nazi authorities were not so keen, and made life difficult for her. Such is life. :eh:
Anyway, Dame Vera deserved her 103 years, along with the thanks and appreciation of the millions she inspired. If she doesn't have a statue, she certainly deserves one. No one in their right mind would want to besmirch it.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Off topic”