Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Grammer.

Post by jarndice »

Over the years i have worked with men who speak in exactly that fashion at work and at home,
They have no concept of obscene language,
The most disturbing was my encounter with a lad of 9 who would preface every sentence with F--- or C --- and when I challenged him he said that's how everyone at home spoke including his parents,
As a Serviceman I found that sometimes I would slip an obscenity into conversation quite inadvertently but never a non stop tirade as your amusing if worrying video displayed.
Swearing like a Trooper is a well worn phrase and yet HMs Armed Forces frowns upon such language and punishes users of it. :thumbdown:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Re the nine year old, that's a case of bad parenting. Children pick up words they hear often from a very young age, usually at home. But if they didn't, it would be when they get to school and mix with other children that have the bad parents. I've heard children half that age spewing out tirades of foul language to their parents in the high street.
It wasn't a case of Tourettes. Now that's something I wonder about, why do they pick the F or C words to cry out? Were those words overly used when they grew up with their disability developing, and hence they latched on to them? I watched a Russel Howard show where he had a young woman on as a guest, she had an extreme case of Tourettes, but said biscuit instead of foul words.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Well, for the Glaswegians I worked with it was not a tirade or meant to be foul, they really did use the F-bomb as a form of punctuation. No offense intended by them.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Estnische wrote:Well, for the Glaswegians I worked with it was not a tirade or meant to be foul, they really did use the F-bomb as a form of punctuation. No offense intended by them.
Get that with the Irish and English on building sites, they don't realise how they're talking with that "punctuation." It makes things awkward when working places where we interact with people while working on hospitals or domestic jobs.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The first time I met my Lady I was in uniform (Best Blues at a Function) On our first date she used the F--- word,
I was shocked that this beautiful young woman with her melodic received English accent was even aware such a word existed :O ,
I gave her my Mums look of the long stare of disapproval and she blushed and it never happened again,
It transpired that she was quite taken with me at our first meeting what with all the gold braid and shiny boots and wanted me to feel relaxed in her company when we met for the first time socially,
She said years later that my face was a picture and she realised that soldiers were not always the knuckle dragging cavemen that she first thought they were. :haha: :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

silversurfer1947 wrote:
jarndice wrote:The final withdrawal of the Romans in the early 5th Century caused initially a vacuum in the geopolitical structure of the British Isles,
The tribes around the Baltic, Saxons, Picts, Angles, Norse and Danes saw an opportunity for a quick kill and moved into the East of Britain forcing the indigenous population ever westwards,
A well educated young Briton the son of a leading British tribesman who had learnt languages, philosophy,Religion and history in what was still the centre of the known world, Rome, came back home with a determination to get his country back,
The creation of Angleland by Arthur which became England after his passing was the first time that a large part of the island of Britain became a single administrative area after the Romans left,
It was initially a defensive pact between tribes who were trying to rid the land of the Danes who were running roughshod and killing and looting at will.
An arrangement was made to buy off the Danes (Danegeld) which worked for a while but the Danes got greedy and Arthur said enough and after much privation on the Somerset Levels he formed a well equipped Army and he took the Danes to battle somewhere outside Reading and defeated them and took the Danish King Prisoner,
To the Danish Kings surprise he was treated as a friend by Arthur and given his freedom,
Treaties were signed and the Danes retired to Eastern England centred on York and the capital of Angleland was created at Winchester,
After the passing of Arthur the crown passed to his daughter another wise ruler and the Danes who had not left to go back to the lands surrounding the Baltic stayed as citizens of the new country.
They intermingled with the British and and the ruling royal house had Arthur's family as well as Danish Princes within it.
The close friendship between the British Royal Family and the Danish, Swedish and Norwegian royal family is as close today as it ever was.
We are friends with those people just as after we were defeated by Washington's rebels and after the British burned down the Capitol in the war of 1812 we quickly became friends with the Americans and when the British Empire was dissolved and usually in a friendly manner country's became full members of the British Commonwealth and that friendship paid dividends in both WW1 and WW2 when our staunch and loyal friends heard our call and came to our side in the defense of freedom.
And now we are free for good or ill of our ties to the European Union we are going to find out if those friendships are as strong as before.
This sounds very very similar to the story of Alfred the Great. Was it a slip of the fingers to rename him Arthur?
Thank you Richard I have amended my mistakes.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

He was thinking if this guy....

phpBB [video]
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Well, for the Glaswegians I worked with it was not a tirade or meant to be foul, they really did use the F-bomb as a form of punctuation. No offense intended by them.
So do Dubliners, except it's "Feckin' this" and "Feckin' that".
Using 'Like' every other word can be much, much more annoying... >:< Liked the 'Burnistoun' clip. :thumbup:
By contrast, hundreds of miles and distilleries further North, today's Highlanders- notwithstanding their legendary battle prowess-rarely use effing expletives, and that's because the influence of the 'Kirk' is still strong up here. But not as strong as the poteen :haha:
Slainte mhor! (Good Health!)

I posted a vid of a Scots parliamentarian speaking Scots Gaelic (minus any expletives), here are some young Irish folk speaking Irish Gaelic (minus the Gaelic expletives found in other vids by same contributor :haha: ) .
Irish and Scots Gaelic were once one language.
'Gaelic' is pronounced 'Gallic' in Scotland.
The 'Celts' were Gaels; (think: Gauls and Asterix in France), and hence 'Gallic'.
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:The first time I met my Lady I was in uniform (Best Blues at a Function) On our first date she used the F--- word,
I was shocked that this beautiful young woman with her melodic received English accent was even aware such a word existed :O ,
I gave her my Mums look of the long stare of disapproval and she blushed and it never happened again,
It transpired that she was quite taken with me at our first meeting what with all the gold braid and shiny boots and wanted me to feel relaxed in her company when we met for the first time socially,
She said years later that my face was a picture and she realised that soldiers were not always the knuckle dragging cavemen that she first thought they were. :haha: :haha:
:eh: :D Er...were you enlisted in the Salvation Army, Shaun? :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Best Blues = Number 1 dress (Ceremonial)(Blo*dy Expensive) Commissioned,--Beret with Silver badge, Silver rank badges on epaulettes,Jump Wings on upper shoulder, NCOs Gold Rank on upper arm except WO1/2 on lower arm and gold Quali and Skill badges on lower arm or chest,
Awards on the chest and Mr Wilkinsons finest Sheffield Steel at the waist, Jumpboots (Highly Polished), Sam Browne.And If you have been awarded one your Freefall badge in Gold on the lower sleeve :thumbup: :haha: .Battalion Lanyard in appropriate colours.
You did ask :haha: :haha:
Last edited by jarndice on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off topic”