Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Grammer.

Post by jarndice »

Is there any particular reason why the inbuilt spellchecker on the Forum is set up to accept American English spelling rather than English English Spelling ?
I get a bit fed up when my spelling of Colour for instance is marked as an error when patently it is no such thing.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Grammer.

Post by Kaczor »

Spelling is checked not by forum but browser.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Kaczor wrote:Spelling is checked not by forum but browser.
WHOSE ???
Certainly not mine.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I’ve always wondered why we renegade colonists dropped the “u” and spell it color. And why in the heck is aluminum pronounced so wrong in England? And who ever thought knife needed to begin the letter “k”?!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Jimster wrote:I’ve always wondered why we renegade colonists dropped the “u” and spell it color. And why in the heck is aluminum pronounced so wrong in England? And who ever thought knife needed to begin the letter “k”?!
I guess aluminium was named thus by English chemist, Humphrey Davy to match all the other elements ending in ium. The question is why did our transatlantic cousins choose to drop the final i in aluminium but leave it in all the other elements? Could have been interesting if they had done the same with sodium!
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

There's nothing wrong with the English English language, it's other people that can't cope with it.

It's easy, and you will get along fine, if you remember things like. . . .

Read and lead rhyme and read and lead rhyme, but read and lead don't rhyme, and neither do read and lead. See, simple :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
rochesb
Lance Corporal

Post by rochesb »

Two countries, divided by a common language ........

I always found the American use of momentarily confusing...... in the USA it means something will happen in a moment (shortly) whereas in England it means something will happen for a short duration of time.....
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

By the way Shaun, you may want to edit your threads title from grammer to grammar :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

jarndice wrote:Is there any particular reason why the inbuilt spellchecker on the Forum is set up to accept American English spelling rather than English English Spelling ?
I get a bit fed up when my spelling of Colour for instance is marked as an error when patently it is no such thing.
That's easy. The spellchecker knows that Americans are the Greatest so it's sucking up to us. Bwahahaha @) @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I can remember a folk concert by the Watersons back in my university days. They were accounting a concert they had given in the US. One of the problems they had was that in America, when someone was randy, it merely meant that his parents had christened him Randolph. There were other examples which were sorely lost in translation, but they have escaped my memory.

On a different topic, why can't our transatlantic friends pronounce laboratory correctly? They always make it sound like what they euphemistically call the bathroom.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D

Return to “Off topic”