Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Grammer.

Post by jarndice »

Tell me when Roy's finished I am off to hide under the bed :lolno: :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hey Roy, talking about the PC lot, and that you mentioned Fawlty Towers elsewhere, did you know they reinstated the episode with the "don't mention the war" line, after banning it because it was felt offensive.
And I'll add a little bit of Fawlty Towers trivia, the show is popular all around the world, and has been translated into more languages than any other tv series, but it had a problem when shown in Spain, they changed the dubbing over to say that Manuel was Paolo from Naples who had an obsession with making lasagna instead of paella.

Myself and a particular group of friends say we're off to chase the tea bag, as one of my friends emptied a teapot down the toilet, and one bag wouldn't flush.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

I do remember reading that Andrew Sachs was once up for a comedy award for Manuel, but the panel felt that the character was somehow 'racist' or anti Spanish - to which Andrews Sachs replied 'well if Manuel reflects poorly on the Spanish, what does Basil Fawlty say about the English?!'
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Not forgetting that Andrew Sachs left Germany in 1938 with his family. So if it comes to innuendo who better to speak up either attacking or defending the programme,
People trying to force history to conform to today's social more`s such as knocking down and defacing statues are missing the point of history,
Wise people learn from their mistakes and farce is a very strong humorous form that helps us learn those lessons,
It is certainly a better way of learning than rioters beating up policemen in the UK and policemen beating up tribal Elders in Canada,
Question, What is the Difference between the American Police and the British Police,
Answer, American Police are a Police force, British Police are a Police service,
I now await my sentence from Mick. :shh:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote:Question, What is the Difference between the American Police and the British Police,
Answer, American Police are a Police force, British Police are a Police farce
I now await my sentence from Mick. :shh:
There you go Shaun, I corrected it for you. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Downunder it is indeed the 'Dunny', although I should not speak on behalf of K1W1s. Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but Pointing Percy at the Porcelain is another variation of male urination, as well as Shaking Hands with the Unemployed.

I would have assumed that Going for a Jimmy Riddle (piddle) originated in London?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:So the Scots are descended from Celts? Why do I keep thinking the Scots used to be the Picts? So does Scotland have a separate language, like Wales and Ireland? And no offense through ignorance intended, just trying to learn.
:D Contrary to Shaun's later observation- I'll be brief.
Highland Scots came from Ireland (Eire) originally, and probably mingled with- and were related to- the existing Scots of 'Pictish' ('Painted' People) origin. They spoke Gaelic ('P' Gaelic- or Goidelic), and still do up here.
Southern Scots (loosely, 'Lowlanders') speak Scots, which is a variant of Northumbrian English. From an ethnic point of view, they're not Celts or Pictish. But, with mixing, most Brits these days have some 'Celtic' blood.
Before the English (Krauts >:< ) and their Norse cousins appeared, it's quite likely that all the folk on the Island of Britain (including Wales and Scotland) spoke Brythonic ('Q' Gaelic- don't ask!), a so-called 'Celtic' language that modern Welsh is derived from. It was also spoken in Brittany (France) and Cornwall. At one time, 'Celtic' languages were spoken throughout Western Europe- including Southern Germany, Switzerland etc., (The Swiss are quite keen on the 'Celtic' roots)
This is what Scots Gaelic sounds like- if you're still awake :haha: :crazy:
phpBB [video]

She's not really that wide...it's just a stretched vid :eh: :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Wow. Thought I was watching that Mel Gibson movie Braveheart. Who in the world understands that language now a days? Sounds cool.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It is taught in School and there is a Scottish Television channel that broadcasts in Gaelic just as there is a Welsh language Television Channel. :thumbup:
Diversity is at the very heart of Britain's Strength.
Edit, These channels are available on the "SKY" pay to view system so are able to be watched throughout the UK :thumbup:
Whether they are available on "Freeview" or "Freesat" I do not know.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I had no idea! I thought everyone in the UK only spoke the King’s English with a heavy Liverpool accent. Now a stereotype has been corrected. (Just kidding of course)
I think it’s amazing how little we Americans are taught about our true European beginnings. Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc. The history of it all sounds very complicated. I do remember hearing something about the Battle of Hastings.

Return to “Off topic”