Grammer.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Grammer.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote: :eh: :D Er...were you enlisted in the Salvation Army, Shaun? :)
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I nearly choked on my tea :haha: :haha: :haha:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
Estnische wrote:Well, for the Glaswegians I worked with it was not a tirade or meant to be foul, they really did use the F-bomb as a form of punctuation. No offense intended by them.
So do Dubliners, except it's "Feckin' this" and "Feckin' that".
Using 'Like' every other word can be much, much more annoying... >:< Liked the 'Burnistoun' clip. :thumbup:
By contrast, hundreds of miles and distilleries further North, today's Highlanders- notwithstanding their legendary battle prowess-rarely use effing expletives, and that's because the influence of the 'Kirk' is still strong up here. But not as strong as the poteen :haha:
Slainte mhor! (Good Health!)
I posted a vid of a Scots parliamentarian speaking Scots Gaelic (minus any expletives), here are some young Irish folk speaking Irish Gaelic (minus the Gaelic expletives found in other vids by same contributor :haha: ) .
Irish and Scots Gaelic were once one language.
'Gaelic' is pronounced 'Gallic' in Scotland.
The 'Celts' were Gaels; (think: Gauls and Asterix in France), and hence 'Gallic'.
phpBB [video]
The influence of the Kirk? Is that anything like the influence of the Spock? Bwahaha @)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Best Blues = Number 1 dress (Ceremonial)(Blo*dy Expensive) Commissioned,--Beret with Silver badge, Silver rank badges on epaulettes,Jump Wings on upper shoulder, NCOs Gold Rank on upper arm except WO1/2 on lower arm and gold Quali and Skill badges on lower arm or chest,
Awards on the chest and Mr Wilkinsons finest Sheffield Steel at the waist, Jumpboots (Highly Polished), Sam Browne.And If you have been awarded one your Freefall badge in Gold on the lower sleeve :thumbup: :haha: .Battalion Lanyard in appropriate colours.
You did ask :haha: :haha:
:D :D Underneath the case hardened paratrooper, there's a hopeless romantic lurking, eh, Shaun ?:) Yes, I'm familiar with Number 1 dress uniforms, but my comment was an oblique reference to your youthful Innocent's shock at hearing an English Rose use the 'f-word'. It reminds' me of a line from 'The Tempest': "..nought ill could dwell in such a temple!.." :)
For some reason, Vivienne Leigh comes to mind- that archetypal English rose, but one who wasn't quite as innocent as she looked. Not that I'm saying your soul mate is anything other than the perfect partner. I'm sure she is :thumbup: :thumbup: But, I do appreciate friends and others who are not entirely predictable. :D That's the spice of life.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Off topic”