Wrist watch.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Wrist watch.

Post by jarndice »

Nearly 55 years ago While on R&R I treated myself to a top of the line Seiko wrist watch it cost just over 30 Singapore $$,
At that time the Singapore $ was worth about 28 pence so you can see that I was truly the last of the big spenders :lolno:
Overnight it failed :'(
I have just looked up the price of a new Seiko watch to replace it,
Nothing under £250 and they poker face quote £10,000 as part of their off the shelf range of timepieces.
It would appear that as far as Seiko is concerned the sky is the limit so where can I find a quality long lasting (55 Years would be fine) relatively inexpensive Good time keeping wrist watch with sweep second hand, luminous face, day, date, and good down to 50 metres?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Re: Wrist watch.

Post by ronnie42 »

Just wait until it needs a battery if you go quartz , the 50m waterproof seal will cost you dearly. :D
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
The 'Citizen' line of Timepieces have come a long way and there is a model for every budget. I have a case full of windup pocket watches that I find that I no longer have clothes worthy of wearing with...Nowadays, I use a Samsung Galaxy wrist device that lets me know my healthrate, take calls and text, weather forecasts, etc. Basically a mini Smartphone. I feel like Dick Tracy with this thing. Even tells the time.... 350.00
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

ronnie42 wrote:Just wait until it needs a battery if you go quartz , the 50m waterproof seal will cost you dearly. :D
I can confirm :(
I used to have a jeweller friend, but as I don't take my watches swimming like Shaun probably does, I make do with a moisture/dust seal :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Good heavens Painless "Dick Tracy!!! He never really took off over this side of the water,
Probably a bit too `Merican for our taste
Surely that particular private dick has long gone to the waste paper merchant in the sky :haha:
I shall have a look at Citizens range, What I will not be doing is indulging in the purchase of any form of mobile telephone,
Us Luddites are not afraid of being consigned to Botany Bay for our reactionary views, Apparently the weather is nice and this dreadful virus is in abeyance :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jarndice!
I went and checked: https://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/2020/05/28
Also, I understand the value of reliable and time tested ( pardon the pun ;o) Hence the Lot of wind up Pocket Watches by various Swiss manufacturers. It is just a damn shame that I aged out of looking good with one on.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:Just wait until it needs a battery if you go quartz , the 50m waterproof seal will cost you dearly. :D
I can confirm :(
I used to have a jeweller friend, but as I don't take my watches swimming like Shaun probably does, I make do with a moisture/dust seal :thumbup:
Swimming :thumbup:
Well yes I do swim while wearing my wristwatch but we go Scuba Diving (Nearly) every year around Mauritius or the Maldives and anyone who dives will know how important a reliable watch with the ability to function at depth is,
Sucking in nothing through your demand valve is not the best way of Finding out at depth that the bottles empty and your watch has stopped,
It is not the best guarantee of long life. :lolno:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

If you are a lad of the 70s there can only be one.
Casio? When the battery goes just buy another!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Yeah, I knew you went diving Shaun :thumbup:
That's what my old jeweller friend used to do.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Those were the days when you would fill up the car and they would give you a free watch with your change :haha:
Painless You exclamation marked me :O ,
We live a sheltered life blissfully unaware that the likes of Dick Tracy Which I never really got is still alive and well but you killed off P-Nuts which I loved. :thumbdown:
I have enjoyed the odd pocket watch, it always looked good on the end of an Albert chain in the Waistcoat pocket of my best blues but they could suffer damage when immersed in someones glass of beer (Or Worse) Don't ask :{

Return to “Off topic”