Happy St George's Day.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Re: Happy St George's Day.

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Are you saying that all north west Europeans are inbred? That's a big family! You must be very proud. Still, the records show that most Scots spend most of their lives outside Scotland so the damage gets diluted. ;)
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Are you saying that all north west Europeans are inbred? That's a big family! You must be very proud. Still, the records show that most Scots spend most of their lives outside Scotland so the damage gets diluted. ;)
The population of the British around 1066, was ca. 2,000,000. Given the depredations of the Black Death, in the 1340s, when perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of Europeans were killed off, most of Today's ethnic Brits- irrespective of the four nations in the UK, are distant cousins. Although the English were from German tribes originally, most- if not all- of them, have ancestors among the Ancient Britons. I read somewhere that many of them also have direct links to Alfred the Great, much in the same way that (it's claimed) 1- in every- 200 men is a descendant of the notoriously randy Genghis Khan. :D :O
As for inbreeding North of the border, all I can is that its preferable to putting sheep in the family way (an alleged Welsh practice) :haha:
Northwest Europe Includes Britain, Ireland, Norway/Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Holland and Belgium
The Flag I prefer is the Union Flag, incidentally...certainly appearance-wise. Closely followed by the Skull and Crossbones. :lolno:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Genuinely fascinating stuff, thanks. Does that make us cousins then? I must confess, the best relationship l ever enjoyed was with a cousin, twice removed. Female she was :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Genuinely fascinating stuff, thanks. Does that make us cousins then? I must confess, the best relationship l ever enjoyed was with a cousin, twice removed. Female she was :thumbup:
On the basis of your input here, GJ, I'd not be ashamed to have you as a cousin (much :lolno: ). One slightly bizarre outcome of the test, was being presented with the real names and sometimes aliases of 200 +
3rd cousins I had no previous knowledge of (complete with somewhat posed photographic physiognomies 8O in many cases) . This then extended further to almost 500,000 remoter cousins lurking in Northern Ireland,
Scotland (between Strathclyde and the borders), Northumberland and the Highlands. :O
Funny thing is, I could see resemblances to family members bearing some of the same surnames I'd found in my Family history.
But, when all's said and done, the great thing about being alive is being able to choose one's friends (with or without flags). Sadly (sometimes), we can't choose our families. :problem: :D
According to one genetic research group (Oxford Ancestors), all Europeans are descended from just seven women.
Maybe there's a shared 1/16 Tank gene that brings people together, or a common remote ancestor who'd spent much of his life in a straitjacket, claiming to be Napoleon. :crazy:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01

Jeez, those 7 women must have been prolific! Did your researchers by chance provide their phone numbers?

Another of my female cousins is a Scot and she constructed a family tree but found it far harder to construct as the history became more recent due to more frequent failed relationships and breaks in parentage. I wondered how accurate it was without the benefit of DNA tests! Don't get me wrong, l'm not suggesting extramarital sex is a good thing. But it can he fantastic :haha:

Sorry, this a bit off topic but l think l'm suffering from Covid 20, a symptom of Covid 19 boredom...

Return to “Off topic”