Sir Stirling Moss.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
jarndice
Colonel

Sir Stirling Moss.

Post by jarndice »

One of the true greats in motor sport died today,
I remember him and his sister when i was a boy they would ride up the lane from their parents farm just outside Tring to Wiggington,
He was a well practiced horseman although never the match of his sister Pat who later went on to Olympic glory followed by a life of rallying where she met and later married Erik Carlsson. Nice people.
He certainly epitomised the Spartan spirit of returning carrying his shield or carried upon it.
He always rated Tazio Nuvolari as the best driver he knew of but in those with whom he competed he rated Fangio as the best because like Moss Fangio drove in any four wheeled motor sport not just Formula 1.
Sir Stirling Moss, Hero,
R I P.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Sir Stirling Moss.

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I did not know the man nor follow the sport but everyone who reaches for Greatness through Good Acts and achieves it is a figure to be admired and missed when gone.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
X82d Pathfinder
Corporal

Post by X82d Pathfinder »

I met Stirling Moss at an SAAC event several years ago. I thought about having him sign the inside of my trunk on my 67 Shelby GT500.
He was quite the gentleman. The big names associated with Shelby and the heyday of racing are passing quickly like our WWII veterans.
My condolences to friends and family. May they find peace in their time of sorrow.
A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done.- Sir William Slim
Wildboar44
Corporal

Post by Wildboar44 »

All you need to know about a true Gentleman.

https://youtu.be/fJsdw-pof1o

RIP
Yesterday is our history, Tomorrow is an eternal mistery, Today is a gift, its why its called "The Present".
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

There was a time when, if you were unfortunate (or silly enough :D ) to get pulled over by the "Black rats' (Traffic police) for being a little enthusiastic with the throttle, more often than not you'd hear something like:
"Who do you think your are, sonny, Stirling Moss!?' I believe, on one occasion, he was even asked the same question himself. ;) :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Recall that well! It was the opening comment as you wound the window down (manually then!).

They rarely booked you though and having the smell of several pints of 'best' on your breath was no problem either. So much safer now.

Used to see all the old greats race at Goodwood late 50 / 60s but l was too young to really appreciate any details but remember Moss well. As l matured (from around 5) my life became petrol orientated.

We lost Tim Brooke Taylor too :(
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Never a good time to go, but 90 was a good innings. Especially when you consider his serious accident.

As a teenager in the '70s I stumbled across a series of his annuals in our school library. I was particularly captured by his tales of racing sports cars in the '50s, especially at Le Mans. Looking back now, each Le Mans seemed to be "I sprinted off into the lead and was out of the race several hours later". Often this was at the behest of Lofty England (Jaguar team manager) or John Wyer (Aston Martin manager) to try and break the Ferraris. School boy tales of derring-do.

Return to “Off topic”