Chaffinch Countermeasures?

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Chaffinch Countermeasures?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Spring is creeping, stealthily, into the Highlands. In fact, the dawn chorus has added many new voices. But now,, there's also an annoying tapping sound, every dawn. At first I thought some weirdo was tapping on my window seeking sanctuary from the world of lethal microbes. Eventually, though, I saw that it was a crazed Chaffinch launching a pre-emptive strike on my hapless car's defences. No amount of "..shooing!!.." (something stronger than that, actually :shh: ) would drive the aerial assailant away. >:<
I looked inside the car, and couldn't see anything in there that might have caught Flying Officer Chaffinch's eye... a lady Chaffinch, for example.
Truth is, although I've been feeding, and enjoying, garden birds for decades, I've never had the experience before of one manic bird pecking away at my car windows, and door seals :wtf: .
Worse still, this wee winged one was also depositing large amounts of faeces all over the windows and doors (large, relative to his size) @)
How could he be so fixated as to launch banzai attacks on my car, despite early improvised countermeasures from me. The garden hose was the first weapon I tried, but he was undaunted by that. The little
b**tard!
Frustrated, I searched online for incidents such as this one. Eventually, I found that Banzai Chaffinch was attacking his own reflection in my car windows, and mirrors. Yes, This randy wee birdie had spotted a love rival, and was about to drive the seemingly invincible love rival away from all the lady Finches, that his own crazed hormones had fixated upon. ;)
Someone suggested that putting a scare-cat image in the car would work. Well, I tried it, and all the wee bug*er did was move to another window. @)
Here's the scare-cat:
Chaffinch countermeasure.
Chaffinch countermeasure.
Captain Chaffinch declined to pose for the pic., but soon returned after I took it. :/
In good weather, I speculated that one of my airsoft tanks could have its gun zeroed in on the Finch's favoured LZ, and his glazed target.
That way I could bombard him from the kitchen window. But, with sporadic wind and rain- that's a non-starter. Besides, he'd likely drop bird bombs on my tank :/
While I've posted this to lighten the mood a little, if anyone has any practical suggestions on how I might deal with banzai bird (short of hurting him), I'd be very grateful :D
Maybe I need a 1/16 scale 88mm airsoft ack ack gun. I even considered putting a pic of a Sparrowhawk in there... :problem:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: Chaffinch Countermeasures?

Post by silversurfer1947 »

No idea, but a while back my sliding patio door came under a concerted attack from a kamikaze Robin, who similarly had spotted a rival the other side of the glass. You might be better off with a sparrow hawk or an owl.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

You need to hire a large crane and park it by your car. If you then borrow a neighbours car and suspend it from the cranes jib, positioned over your own car, you can then wait until the sex crazed bundle of feathers returns and simply drop the neighbours car on your own, crushing the sweet little thing in the process. Simple, problem solved. Sleep easy. Happy to have been of service.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Alternatively, sneak up behind him and lift your kilt. You'll never see him again. :haha:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

We have the same issue with crows here. From what I am told it’s not actually attacking your car. I am informed that at this time of year they are seeking nest materials and car window trim fits the bill.

The reason for the attacks on your windows mirrors and paintwork as a local bird bloke tells me is they are in fact attacking their own reflection fighting off what would be a breeding/nesting competitor
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

As for a countermeasure we find carrier bags put over the mirrors and make enough noise in a light breeze to keep them at bay so could give that a try
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Alternatively, sneak up behind him and lift your kilt. You'll never see him again. :haha:
:D Yes, well...I do, in fact, have a kilt; but knowing my luck he might be a finch with modern liberal values :shh: ..or very hungry :O (no jokes about the size of the potential meal, please. :lolno: )
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:As for a countermeasure we find carrier bags put over the mirrors and make enough noise in a light breeze to keep them at bay so could give that a try
That's actually a very sensible solution, :) I think I shall give that a try :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Double entry..sticking key?
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Triple entry edited out. Web page seemed to lock up... :/

Return to “Off topic”